Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarcoGamba

New Table/Reshaped Table grouped by date and keeping non-blank values for each column

Hi Folks,

I have a table recording the start and end time of each production shift every day. Given the system used to have the operators logging the time, the table is generated in a kind of "diagonal" way: for each day there are 4 lines (Start/End of the 2 shifts), but with only 1 non-blank column per day:

MarcoGamba_0-1656834709683.png

I need to reshape a table (or create a new one) with only one line per day and with the columns filled accordingly. The table can be generated either in DAX or in PowerQuery (either would work for the report).

I've tried with summarize and firstnonblank but no success so far 😞

Any hint?

Thanks for the support!

Regards,

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarcoGamba 

Here a solution in Power Query:

Before:

tomfox_0-1656835625235.png

After:

tomfox_1-1656835662075.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hc5BCgAhCEDRu7QOxowZpatE97/GWLkpC8GFwcN+rQG+RwYBMUR5lAwFQFadFjcik1Z1Il2xEFUX0n/MemsQ8lvItKR3ayG/xZLZMm8Nwn4L+y3st1iytLQf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date_ShiftAdjust = _t, #"Day Start" = _t, #"Day End" = _t, #"Night Start" = _t, #"Night End" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date_ShiftAdjust", type date}, {"Day Start", type time}, {"Day End", type time}, {"Night Start", type time}, {"Night End", type time}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Date_ShiftAdjust"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Other Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Let me know if this helps 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarcoGamba 

Here a solution in Power Query:

Before:

tomfox_0-1656835625235.png

After:

tomfox_1-1656835662075.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hc5BCgAhCEDRu7QOxowZpatE97/GWLkpC8GFwcN+rQG+RwYBMUR5lAwFQFadFjcik1Z1Il2xEFUX0n/MemsQ8lvItKR3ayG/xZLZMm8Nwn4L+y3st1iytLQf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date_ShiftAdjust = _t, #"Day Start" = _t, #"Day End" = _t, #"Night Start" = _t, #"Night End" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date_ShiftAdjust", type date}, {"Day Start", type time}, {"Day End", type time}, {"Night Start", type time}, {"Night End", type time}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Date_ShiftAdjust"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Other Columns"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Let me know if this helps 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hello Tom,

thank you so much for the super fast help!!

It definitely works!

You saved my WE 🙂

Regards,

Marco

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.