Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DonalMc
Advocate II
Advocate II

New Table Question

Folks,

I have the following tables and I would like to know how to generate 'Table:The one that I want'.

The bottom three tables are pulled from the CDS, and the Table: Users and Roles is one I created in the Power Query Editor with merges.

Is there an easy way to create my desired table, or do I have to create a measure per role?

Thanks! 

DonalMc_0-1601560619080.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DonalMc ,

if you duplicate the column User in the "User and Roles" table and pivot on User, you'll get the desired result:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQotTi1ScAQygvJzUoGMWJ1oJSMMcSewuDGGuAtY3AQm7gQTdwaLm2KIu4LFzWDizqjqzTHEIeZbYIhDzLGEibugqjc0wJAAaogFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"User-Role-ID" = _t, User = _t, Role = _t]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"User-Role-ID"}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns", "User", "User - Copy"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Duplicated Column", List.Distinct(#"Duplicated Column"[Role]), "Role", "User", each if List.Count(_) = 1 then "Y" else "N")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

oh yes: and remove the ID-column before.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if you can provide dummy date in text format i can put it together in a pbix for you.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @vanessafvg 

See user-roels.xlsx for the xlsx I took the screencap of - is this enough?

I simplfied things to make it easier to explain.

Thanks in advance,

Donal

Hi @DonalMc ,

if you duplicate the column User in the "User and Roles" table and pivot on User, you'll get the desired result:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQotTi1ScAQygvJzUoGMWJ1oJSMMcSewuDGGuAtY3AQm7gQTdwaLm2KIu4LFzWDizqjqzTHEIeZbYIhDzLGEibugqjc0wJAAaogFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"User-Role-ID" = _t, User = _t, Role = _t]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"User-Role-ID"}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns", "User", "User - Copy"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Duplicated Column", List.Distinct(#"Duplicated Column"[Role]), "Role", "User", each if List.Count(_) = 1 then "Y" else "N")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

oh yes: and remove the ID-column before.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF - thanks so much - that worked perfectly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.