Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Table - How to Insert a Blank or Null Row for each Date in Column

Hi there!

I am trying to create a "Mapping Table" for my data model by pulling all the dates from one table along with all unique bill numbers from the same table. I used this formula to create the new table:

Mapping Table = SUMMARIZE(Order_Table,Order_Table[PICK_UP__BY_DATE],Order_Table[BILL_NUMBER])

Part of the table currently looks like this:

Unique Table.jpg

Is there any way that I can add a "blank" or "null" value after each date is repeated for each unique bill number?

For example, I would want a row to look like this (please see the blank "BILL_NUMBER" value below), and I would want that one blank row to exist for every date in the table:

PICK_UP_BY_DATEBILL_NUMBER
9/13/2019XXXXXXX
9/13/2019XXXXXXX
9/13/2019 

Any insights would be super helpful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

in general, you don't have to add the empty lines until you are planning something specific. When there is no match the blank lines from the other table will still be shown and summarized in the final visual.

However, if you want to add empty lines per day you could do an approach like that:

Mapping Table =
UNION(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Order_Table,
        Order_Table[PICK_UP__BY_DATE],
        Order_Table[BILL_NUMBER]
    ),
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        SUMMARIZE(
            Order_Table,
            Order_Table[PICK_UP__BY_DATE]
        ),
        "BILL_NUMBER", BLANK()
    )
)

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

FYI that Power BI automatically adds a blank row when you have rows in your fact table that don't have matching values in your dimension table(s).  Try making your relationship and then make a table visual with your bill numbers and some aggregate of the fact table (sum, count, etc.).  You should see a blank value for those rows w/o bill numbers.

Blank row in DAX - SQLBI

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mahoneypat !

Thanks for your reply. I think my issue is that I have 2 fact tables - one for "orders" and another for "quotes." Using the "quotes" table, I can determine the quote conversion rate (as a measure) by counting the non-blank bill numbers and dividing by the total quote numbers. This means that when a "quote number" is not converted to an actual sale, my bill number will remain blank. 

I also have some categories/fields on the "orders" table that I would want to view quote conversion rates against. However, the linkage between these two fact tables and my lookup table for "Date" doesn't work perfectly. 

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

there are ways to do that, but they can become complicated.

Be aware that the sort order of a table is never guaranteed, so after creating the table with SUMMARIZE it might look like this.

PICK_UP_BY_DATEBILL_NUMBER
9/13/2019XXXXXXX
9/13/2019YYYYYYY
9/13/2019ZZZZZZZ
9/13/2019 
9/13/2019 
9/13/2019XXXXXXX
9/13/2019 

I am thinking why do you want to add empty rows after a repetition? What do you want to archive with that?

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @selimovd - what are some options for doing that? 

I am looking to create the empty rows because I want to create a relationship with another table ("Quotes") which would have many instances of empty bill numbers. 

Hey @Anonymous ,

in general, you don't have to add the empty lines until you are planning something specific. When there is no match the blank lines from the other table will still be shown and summarized in the final visual.

However, if you want to add empty lines per day you could do an approach like that:

Mapping Table =
UNION(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Order_Table,
        Order_Table[PICK_UP__BY_DATE],
        Order_Table[BILL_NUMBER]
    ),
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        SUMMARIZE(
            Order_Table,
            Order_Table[PICK_UP__BY_DATE]
        ),
        "BILL_NUMBER", BLANK()
    )
)

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @selimovd - this worked like a charm! 

I see what you mean about not needing to add the blank lines. I'll definitely take a look and see how Power BI maps it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.