Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

New PowerBI Aggregation Feature - Cannot Sum Decimal Number

--The Issue--

Is it known that the manage aggregations feature, for sum, cannot support a decimal number?  I can choose my summarization method, the detail table but when I go to choose my detail column all the options are grayed out.  I have one version where the field I am attempting to sum is whole another and another that is decimal number, this is why I think its the data type causing this error.

--What I am Trying to Do--

I have 2 concept builds to test out the new aggregations feature.  In Build1, I performed all my aggregations in TSQL and utilized Direct Query.  Everything worked great.  

In Build2, I want to see performance gain/loss if instead of using aggregated tables in TSQL, Direct Query the fine grain fact table and build the aggregations within PowerBI itself (while maintaining query folding).

I cannot utilize manage aggregations in Build2.  I am utilizing Direct Query and returning my fact table with total membership, not aggregated.  I transform my data to set up to be an aggregated table.  I ensure that all my transformation steps is supported by the native query.  Everything goes great, except that the group by transformation took a whole number field (123) and converted it to decimal (1.2.)  This didnt break query folding so I didnt think it was a big deal.

However, when I go to Report view and click Manage Aggregations, I can choose my summarization method, the detail table but when I go to choose my detail column all the options are grayed out. I am fixated that the data type caused this error,since Build1 works fine, but not sure why / how or how to work around it.

I have tried changing the data type in Edit Queries, but that transformation will break query folding.  I would like to maitain direct query so I can utilze Dual Storage Mode.

Any help would be appreciate.

4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tctrout

I cannot reproduce the same issue. You may check the Considerations and troubleshooting about Aggregation and leave your feedback at the last of this page or you may submit a support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-cherch-msft

the Considerations and troubleshooting page you are referencing is for Aggregates, not the new Manage Aggregations feature released with the September 2018 Update.  Does this page also apply to the Manage Aggregations feature?

Hi  @tctrout

Update the document page as below. You may post your feedback here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-aggregations

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-cherch-msft

the Considerations and troubleshooting page you are referencing is for Aggregates, not the new Manage Aggregations feature released with the September 2018 Update.  Does this page also apply to the Manage Aggregations feature?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.