Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lenihan
Helper III
Helper III

New Measures, Columns - Data sets.

I think I'm not quite understanding how all this works as I'm stuck again 😞  This explanation will be a bit lengthy - sorry, but its complicated what I need - and I cannot provide my data due to confidentiality.

I have multiple tables per month. The data I'm using is a snapshot essentially of about 90K records. Each month, all 90K records have to be pulled. It is based on configuration items in a cmdb. 

They want various metrics based on the CI data - and they want monthly running totals in a total. So a column of December Data, January Data, February Data etc.  I did the first month, where I had to create new measures to do calculations. 

Trying to make a line chart with this data, where the x-axis is the month, and the Y-Axis is either total, or percentage, and the data point for this one chart is "# of config items without relationships"

The challenge is that the Config Item records are a complete list of all of them 90K+. I added a column to the first table "Reporting Month", so that I have a way to differentiate between Data pulled for December, and data pulled for January. 

I created a new measure for the first December dataset to subtract # of Items in one table from the # of items in another set. Worked great.

I then went to do January. Went to create a new measure, and it says a measure already exists. I didn't realize I couldn't create a new measure of the same name for multiple tables!  I can't create a new column, because it isn't a column of data - I just need the one number - and a new number for each month. 

I've seen lots of videos on how to do power bi, but almost all are based on revenue etc - and things are done differently when trying to work out for IPC data. 

What is the best way to handle this? Is there a video someone can point me to that has similar examples? Most of my metric requirements work like this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Lenihan

Create a master calendar table and measures.

Then as you keep adding data the master calendar table will be updated for the new dates in the data.

All the measures can then be filtered for months, quarter, year. 

You can refer to lot of posts in the community for creating calendar tables.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Lenihan

Is it possible for you to load the data in xlsx format and upload to One Drive / Dropbox and share the link. Also

include what kind of output are you expecting.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I wish I could provide the data, as I know that would be much easier, but the data is corporate confidential.

I think though I know what I'm supposed to do with respect to this question. Correct me if I go astray:

I originally assumed that I had to keep adding new tables of monthly data, and then create new measures for each month of data added. I'm a little further in my book I'm reading now, and if I understand, I should be just merging the new data. As long as I'm adding a column called reporting month, I'll be able to differentiate the old data and the new data. The measures will be valid for ALL the data there, even the new data added.  Is that right then?

Hi @Lenihan

Create a master calendar table and measures.

Then as you keep adding data the master calendar table will be updated for the new dates in the data.

All the measures can then be filtered for months, quarter, year. 

You can refer to lot of posts in the community for creating calendar tables.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I'm having much more luck now with the master calendar table - thanks! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.