Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DJNationals

New Measure Trouble in PowerBI - Subtracting a Measure by an Average of Other Measures

I am trying to create a measure in order to apply the values to a visual in powerBI. In excel, the values would be as follows:

"Relative Value of Innovation"=avg(IN)-avg(PC,HR,MO)

Where,

IN=innovation

PC=process control

HR=human relations

MO=mission outcomes

If i were doing this formula in excel i would create a pivot table of all of the values in the data set to provide an average of each of the four values above (IN, PC, HR, MO). Within PowerBI I have already created a measure to average each of those values:

DJNationals_0-1664465786015.png

Here is the formula for the Average of AVE Org HR for reference:

DJNationals_1-1664465825308.png

The last step I am trying to make is to subtract the Average of AVE ORG Innovation by the sum of the average of the Average of AVE ORG Human Relations, Mission Outcomes, and Process Control. I have tried creating a new measure for this process, but am not as fluent in DAX to make this happen. 

Below is my attempt at this formula in the new measure field in powerBI:

DJNationals_2-1664465999745.pngDJNationals_3-1664466027333.png

Should this be done as a two step process, where first i would need to create a measure to average PC, HR, and MO. Then after creating that measure, create another measure where it would subtract the Average of AVE ORG Innovation by the measure of the average of PC, HR, and MO? If so, what would both of those steps look like?

thank you for the help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This worked perfectly! Matches correctly with the historical data as well! Thank you for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DJNationals ;

I'm very happy to be able to help you, if I help you, can you mark me by the way?

Thank you !

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DJNationals ;

Try it.

newmeasure =
[Average of innovation]
    - DIVIDE (
        [Average of process control] + [Average of human relations] + [Average of mission outcomes],
    )

If not fight, can you share a simple example and your expected result with backend logic?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked perfectly! Matches correctly with the historical data as well! Thank you for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.