Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaveC123
Frequent Visitor

New Measure = Today's data compared to the average

I have a spreadsheet that I update daily.  I need a "new measure" to capture today's data (the last data in the column) to be able to use it as a field on a visual in order to compare it to the average.  (Basically "how busy today is in relationship to the average workload).  The data are in columns.  Does "Lastnonblank" work for this?  I can't figure it out.  A sample of the datat is below:

Date	weekday	workday	Sales Orders    Case QTY
6/5	Mon	 1	 21	        487
6/6	Tue	 2	 12	        1599
6/7	Wed      3	 30	        1480
6/8	Thu      4	 41	        604
6/9	Fri	 5       38	        10209
6/12	Mon	 6	 51	        3043
6/13	Tue	 7		

Average	32	2904

Todays workload based on average = 59%	4.70%

So, today (Mon 6/12) we have 59% more orders to process than the average.

So, today (Mon 6/12) we have 4.7% more cases to process than the average.

I'm just creating a quick visual to allow the team to quickly see in the morning how busy they will be that day.

Thank you, DaveC123

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DaveC123

Please review this PBIX. I'm sure that can help you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95C8CKdTZE3NXpVSEdEZ2tPLVk/view?usp=sharing

WL.png

Regards

Victor

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
OpenDataLab
Helper II
Helper II

2017-06-14_17h46_33.png

You can try these calculations to get to the above.  I have included an averge overall, a running averge, calculating only those days average which are in the past (relative to the current date) and the %.  This shouldgive you and indication over time of how you are perfoming not  just today.  Here is a link to a demo workbook: Today Compared to Average

Sales Order (Running Avg) Var % =
CALCULATE (
    DIVIDE (
        SUM ( Data[Sales Orders] ) - [Sales Orders (Running Avg)],
        [Sales Orders (Running Avg)]
    )

Sales Orders (Average Overall) =
CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( [Sales Orders] ), ALL ( 'Data' ) ) 

Sales Orders (Running Avg) =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( [Sales Orders] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Data' ), 'Data'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Data'[Date] ) )
)

Let me know how you get on.

Thank you and this will work, but as time goes on, the graph will loose a lot of its eye popping affect.  I will use this as another dashboard if someone wants to drill into the details more, but I am not expecting these guys to do this.  I am initially just trying to provide a very simple visual (pictures are worth a thousand words).   Below is not coming from the same data, as it does not work right, but gives an idea about what I am trying to display.  A barchart or any other graph works, but it would only be two bars. (avg and today)

Almost an average day.Almost an average day.

I am looking to just click refresh and it captures the last day on data.  And I understand that the average wil adjust over time. 

Thanks, DaveC123

To do this you can create a calculated column like this:

Current Day =
IF ( 'Data'[Date] = CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Data'[Date] ), ALL ( 'Data' ) ), 1, 0 )

2017-06-14_19h08_46.png

Then you can either filter the report using this column or filter the report.  When you add new data the flag will automatically update to the latest day.

I have updated the link to sample dashboard

2017-06-14_19h01_42.png

This is a great formula.  So now the 1 moves as the days data gets filled in.  But, I am stuck trying to still have that days data captured for use on a chart or as a "new measure".  The chart value shows "1".  I do not know how to write DAX, obviously, but was thinking something like this in order to create a "new measure": ?

Todays SO = If('PowerBI Data Table'[Current Day],1,then('PowerBI Data Table'[Sales Orders] Column D)  

I was hoping this would pickup that cell which has todays Sales Order number.  In the earlier table; 51 

Dave C123 please take a look at the sample workbook I provided, this will show you how to use the flag.

You can use it as either a report, page or visual filter. I have set it up as a visual filter on the sample.  

This then allows you to see all the history on the other graphs on the report, whilst the bars chart (or other visual) show just the current day.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=FCBE4E6107649D72&resid=FCBE4E6107649D72%21114&authkey=AB5tPodWSH...

2017-06-15_08h50_40.png

@DaveC123

Please review this PBIX. I'm sure that can help you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95C8CKdTZE3NXpVSEdEZ2tPLVk/view?usp=sharing

WL.png

Regards

Victor

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

To do this you can create a calculated column like this:

Current Day =
IF ( 'Data'[Date] = CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Data'[Date] ), ALL ( 'Data' ) ), 1, 0 )

2017-06-14_19h08_46.png

Then you can either filter the report using this column or filter the report.  When you add new data the flag will automatically update to the latest day.

I have updated the link to sample dashboard

2017-06-14_19h01_42.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.