Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agrinberg

New Informix Data Connector

I am trying to connect to our Informix Database using the new connector however it isn't working.   For the server name I entered the IP address and port number (xxxx.xx.xx.xx:3088) and for the database i just entered the name of the database on Informix (mev).  

The error message I got was the user is not authorized, however we are using this userid/pwd combination successfully on all our ODBC connections to the same server/database.

Is there a particular format or connection string I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
arify
Employee
Employee

Hi, I talked to our Informix experts, here's their answer:

IBM Informix Server supports multiple client-to-server network connectivity protocols: (1) proprietary IBM Informix client-to-server protocol; and (2) industry-standard Distributed Relational Database Architecture (DRDA). The IBM ODBC Driver for Informix supports both. The Microsoft Connector for Informix supports DRDA only.

One needs to configure the Informix Server to be “DRDA enabled”, and to listen for in-bound client TCP/IP network connections on a “DRDA port” (default port number is 9089).

For more information, refer to the IBM Informix 12.1 documentation topic titled “Overview of DRDA”, published to http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGU8G_12.1.0/com.ibm.admin.doc/ids_admin_0206.htm

Specifically, refer to the topic titled “Configuring connectivity between Informix database servers and IBM Data Server clients”, published to http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGU8G_12.1.0/com.ibm.admin.doc/ids_admin_0207.htm

Thank you very much for the detailed response, it makes sense.

Can you please re send me the IBM links provided, for some reason I am not able to open them.   Maybe I need to register on the IBM support site first?

The requested resource is not found: /support/knowledgecenter/SSGU8G_12.1.0/com.ibm.admin.doc/ids_admin_0206.htm.

Thanks again 🙂

Please ignore the last message, I realize its just the period at the end of the URL that needs to be deleted 🙂

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting me know, I've removed the periods for future searchers 🙂

I am also a Pronto user. Pronto uses INFORMIX databases, and they enabled the listener at their end.
They sent me some details to complete the setup including a protocol name:
protocalname: drsoctcp

drsoctcp is not in the dropdown list that I can select, so I assume I have to install it.

1) Can you help with some guideliness to install drsoctcp?

2) Do you have any support service that can Team Viewer to my machine and assist with this configuration?

3) Any consulting support in Australia that can Team Viewer and help?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agrinberg,

In your scenario, did you connect to Informix Database via IBM Informix Database (Beta) data source type? What's the Power BI Desktop did you run?

Based on my test in the new released Power BI Desktop (2.35.4399.381), when checking Get Data ->IBM Informix Database (Beta) ->Connect, the prompt throws out like blew:

a1.PNG

From this message, we can know the new connector is a preview version, not the final version. In your scenario, you can enable tracing on Power BI Desktop: File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing. Then check log to see if the issue is related to the connector exactly. For more information, please refer to this article: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, I am using the new version of the Power BI Desktop client (2.35.4399.381) 64-bit version.

I enabled the trace log as you mentioned, however it only displays the same error message I am receiving in the client:

DataMashup.Trace Information: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-06-06T17:16:56.3060365Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Db/Microsoft Informix Client/AuthorizationError","Exception":"The connect timeout period expired before the DRDA server responded to the DRDA client connection request. SQLSTATE=HYT01 SQLCODE=-7049 SQLSTATE=HY000 SQLCODE=-1037","SqlCode":"-1037","ResourceExceptionKind":"None","ProductVersion":"2.35.4399.381 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"09d15123-4837-4f4e-8b49-b989d127b7b9","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":9668,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0001624"}

The following is the login information I am using:

Login.png

I need to use the following parameters (specify server, host, and protocol in addition to just the port) however I dont know how to enter it in the Power BI desktop application:

setnet.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.