Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cwayne758
Helper IV
Helper IV

New 'Enter Data' feature -- can we edit after creating table?

Hi,

I am loving this new 'Enter Data' feature! My question is, after I have created a table using the 'Enter Data' feature --- is it possible to Edit that table?

Created with 'Enter Data'. I need to edit but cannot find howCreated with 'Enter Data'. I need to edit but cannot find how

It does not seem like that is possible but I could be wrong. Anyone else used this feature yet?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cwayne758 Yes, you can edit the data at any time.

Edit queries - select the table - in the Applied Steps section click on the Gear next to "Source" and it will pop up your manually built table and you can modify/add/remove values and save.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
karaoan
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

It depends on your requirements. Edit table will only work in Power BI Desktop. If you need it to work on the end user side for just the collection of a few numbers then the PowerApps integration might help you. If you are looking for serious planning functionality, you might want to have a look at: www.acterys.com This solution offers sophisticated write back and planning for Power BI and Excel. In addition to writing to a relational table the solution offers a powerful OLAP in-memory engine on top of SQL Server that caters for large scale multi user write back requirements that typically don't work with sufficient performance if you just write to a relational table.

Martin

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could improve the user experience (ie. for those business users who haven’t a clue about PBI, “edit queries” or indeed sources within) to include a functionality whereby by the click of a button the input table would show up so they can edit away and then close and apply? This would make Power Bi much more powerful for “what if” scenario analyisis, rebates and discount finacial impact etc IMHO....

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

@cwayne758 Yes, you can edit the data at any time.

Edit queries - select the table - in the Applied Steps section click on the Gear next to "Source" and it will pop up your manually built table and you can modify/add/remove values and save.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer sir could you please tell me how do i enter measure values in "Enter Data"  table say suppose i have three 

columns to enter data , Employee, cost and rate .I did enter data but when i enter cost and rate these are not shown up as measures and i cannot calculate or create any calculated measure on cost and rate columns , no sigma symbol is showing up for the cost and rate after a load.

can you please explain why?

Also if you could explain any feature that the values entered in "Enter data" such as cost and rate are not visible after refresh, we want data to be confidential and only enter once for calculations and should not be seen after refreshing report the values should disappear.

Thanks

Suresh Ramadurgam

@SureshR

columns to enter data , Employee, cost and rate .I did enter data but when i enter cost and rate these are not shown up as measures and i cannot calculate or create any calculated measure on cost and rate columns , no sigma symbol is showing up for the cost and rate after a load.

There are several layers to the Desktop. When you enter data, you can't build any calculations into the table itself. You need to load the data and it acts as your data source. In Edit Queries, this is "Power Query" and you could transform or add calculations in the M language. Once you Close & Apply the data is loaded into the model. This is a "Tabular Model", this is where you could create a measure using the DAX language.

Also if you could explain any feature that the values entered in "Enter data" such as cost and rate are not visible after refresh, we want data to be confidential and only enter once for calculations and should not be seen after refreshing report the values should disappear.

If I understand this correctly, you could create your measures and reference the this "other" table with the measure and hide the table from end users. Then they wouldn't be able to see the actual data other than what was shown via the measures.

@SureshR

There are several layers to the Desktop. When you enter data, you can't build any calculations into the table itself. You need to load the data and it acts as your data source. In Edit Queries, this is "Power Query" and you could transform or add calculations in the M language. Once you Close & Apply the data is loaded into the model. This is a "Tabular Model", this is where you could create a measure using the DAX language.

@Seth_C_Bauer many thanks 

This above query , i got the root cause from one your posts which says if the table is created through 'Enter data' featrure and after loading in to data model &  if there is a relation with another existing table like 'Many to One' or 'One to Many'  ,   then the fields do not show sigma sysmbol. Cost and Rate columns in my case does not show Sigma symbol. Can you explain me how could i create measures on top of those two column values Cost n Rate.  

If I understand this correctly, you could create your measures and reference the this "other" table with the measure and hide the table from end users. Then they wouldn't be able to see the actual data other than what was shown via the measures.

@Seth_C_Bauer Yes you have got me right , does Power BI has a featrue of parameter on cost and rate to be inputte dater refresh of report and all other measures and reference the cost and rate input what user has entred . its like input selections for report to run in our case input value of employee and report returns all measures based on that value.

@SureshR I don't know which post you are referring to, but if all the values are numeric, the sigma should show up. If the value is decimal, you can transform the datatype in "Edit Queries" and it will show the symbol.

Sticky answer to your second question. Yes, you can use parameters, but only in the Desktop and probably not in the way you describe. This video shows how Patrick Leblanc made this work off an Excel file, maybe you can see if there is a solution to your scenario.

Just the answer I was looking for to modify a "Enter Data" table that needed editing. Thanks.

Ah! silly me.

Thank you very much!

For some reason, my Power BI Desktop was not popping up the update message. Did it manually, very nifty new feature!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Where/how are you getting/seeing "Enter Data" feature?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Enter Data is a new feature that was part of today's update. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.