Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shhafiz
Employee
Employee

New Data Value Alert

I am working with  a column whose domain can change and I need to provide explicit support for these. As an example, suppose a column contains a set of Strings {"Good", "Bad", "Ugly"} and I will create a column based of this column to give numerical scale {1,2,3}, using if conditions. I understand there is a generic way to do this mapping, but this is just an example and for my actual case I need to provide hard coded support.

I need a way to be notifed that a new value, say "Superb" has been added to a row after a data refresh so I can provide necessary support. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@shhafiz

The easiest way to do this is to create a new query and reference only that field from your data table you want to keep an eye on, turn it into a list and get a count on it.   (Preferred way is to set this up inside your server environment )

image.png

Create a new query and bring in the field you need as a list.

let
    Source = Table1[Column1],
    Custom1 = List.Count(Source)
in
    Custom1

image.png

Close and save power query and bring your count into the report view. So, once new value gets added up to your dataset , you will see this immediately reflected in your report.

image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shhafiz,

Have you tried the solution provided by @nickchobotar above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

HI,

I am pretty new on this, so would it be possible to have little more information on how to do it?

I have a table name table1 with several columns and several values. I would like to make a data alert when a new record is added to the table1 for the column1 but only for a specific value (e.g. column1 contains two values like "blue" and "red" and I want to know only a new record for "blue").

How can I build a KPI on it in order to be able to set a data alert that notify me when a new value is added?

thanks

ANdrea

nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@shhafiz

The easiest way to do this is to create a new query and reference only that field from your data table you want to keep an eye on, turn it into a list and get a count on it.   (Preferred way is to set this up inside your server environment )

image.png

Create a new query and bring in the field you need as a list.

let
    Source = Table1[Column1],
    Custom1 = List.Count(Source)
in
    Custom1

image.png

Close and save power query and bring your count into the report view. So, once new value gets added up to your dataset , you will see this immediately reflected in your report.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.