Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JackEnviro
Helper I
Helper I

New Customer by reference in second table

Hi All

I currently have a calculated column on my invoices fact table to identify new customers who meet a minimum spend thresholds which is  below.

However, our current integration is treating customers who pay on different cards as new contacts when in fact they are returning customers. I would therefore like to add a filter based on customers with the same Postcode.

The postcode is stored in a sepreate "Customer" table connected by the ContactID field in the invoice table. Has anyone got any ideas on the best way to apply apply this and identify customers who have ordered with the same postcode before?

Thanks 

Jack

New Customer =

VAR firstorder =
Calculate ( Min (Invoices[Date]) ,
ALLEXCEPT ( 'Invoices', 'Invoices'[ContactId]),
'Invoices'[ContactId] = EARLIER ( 'Invoices'[ContactId] ), FILTER(Invoices ,Invoices[Full Order] = "Full" ))

RETURN

IF (Invoices[Full Order] = "Part", "N/A" , IF (firstorder = Invoices[Date], "New" , "Return" ))
5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JackEnviro ,

You can create column like DAX below.

New Customer =
VAR firstorder = Calculate ( Min (Invoices[Date]), FILTER(Invoices, Invoices[ContactId] = EARLIER ( Invoices[ContactId] ) ),
FILTER(Customer, Customer[postcode ] = Invoices[ContactId] ), FILTER(Invoices ,Invoices[Full Order] = "Full" ))
RETURN
IF (Invoices[Full Order] = "Part", "N/A" , IF (firstorder = Invoices[Date], "New" , "Return" ))

Or could you please share your sample data and desired output screenshots for further analysis? You can also upload sample pbix to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy / @v-xicai 

Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion but it doesn't identify any new customers. 

I have prepared a file to show the tables and relationships:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oh4GnRM4o4KeCLfTtEZEsxOpY4xWal62/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Jack

Hi @JackEnviro 

I've made a small adjustment to your code, let me know if it works for you.

New Customer = 
VAR __FirstInvoiceDate = 
CALCULATE( 
    FIRSTDATE( Invoices[Date] ),
    ALL( Invoices ), 
    VALUES( Contacts[Street_PostalCode] )
)
RETURN 
IF (
    Invoices[Full Order] = "Part", "N/A", 
    IF ( __FirstInvoiceDate = Invoices[Date], "New" , "Return" )
) 
Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Hi 

Thanks for looking, I tried the code but I don't think the logic is correct I'm afraid.

I need the "FirstOrder" to be the first order from that ContactID unless the postcode has been used before. I may have got it wrong so please do talk me through your code if you thinkI have. 

I am wondering if I could create a column that uses the ContactID unless the postcode has been used before ? Or posssibly a check that if the postcode has been seen before the order is from a return customer possibly like below:

New Customer = 

VAR firstorder =
'Invoices'[ContactId] = EARLIER ( 'Invoices'[ContactId] ), FILTER(Invoices ,Invoices[Full Order] = "Full" ))

Var repeatorderpostcode = ?

RETURN

IF (Invoices[Full Order] = "Part", "N/A" , IF ( repeatorderpostcode ?check?, "Return" , IF (firstorder = Invoices[Date], "New" , "Return" )))

Still working on it but any ideas welcome! 

Hi All 

I think I have a solution but it feels a little complicated.....

I have created a calculated column to bring throught the Postcode to the Invoices table:

Postcode = LOOKUPVALUE(Contacts[Street_PostalCode],Contacts[ContactId], Invoices[ContactId]

I have then repeated the firstorder logic with the post code and updated the lofic so that if the firstpostcode date is after the firstorder date then classed as a return customer (they have purchased before but possibly with different card/cardname). Code is below and I have also updated the file.

New Customer =

VAR firstorderID =

VAR firstpostcode =
Calculate ( Min (Invoices[Date]) , ALLEXCEPT ( 'Invoices', 'Invoices'[Postcode]),
'Invoices'[Postcode] = EARLIER ( 'Invoices'[Postcode] ), FILTER(Invoices ,Invoices[Full Order] = "Full" ))

RETURN
IF (Invoices[Full Order] = "Part", "N/A" , IF ( firstpostcode > firstorderID, "Return",IF (firstorderID = Invoices[Date], "New" , "Return" ))
)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this without the lookup column?

Thanks 
Jack

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors