Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

New Composite model and Tuning query limits

I have tried my hands on new composite model (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nRxDVt3To&lc=z23bsxzgzyrfud0pl04t1aokgilrytqdo5vik10towetbk0h00410). This is so crazy good for optmization and model reduction, I can't belive what Microsoft has unleashed throught this. This is super awesome !!!

I have tried this on a fairly large SSAS cube with the largest dataset being >10M+ rows. Once I converted an existing model to a composite model, the size reduced by >=95%, however some of the measures are not working as the measure calculation are reaching the query limits.

The resultset of a query to external data source has exceeded the maximum allowed size of '1000000' rows

Is there any way around this ?

Many thanks in advance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak thanks for looking into this. The composite model works as a direct query and hence, all the limitations of direct query applies to it, including the possibilty of the background query of a DAX measure being evaluated for >=1M+ combinations. This is where the measure will throw an error. Despite Composite model being super cool, they are hard to maintain unless each and every measure is optimized. In my case, I had a measure with SWITCH which was throwing me the error. The moment I optimized the measure, the error went away. For a composite model to work flawlessly, it challenges the developer to write measure in a super optimized away which in turn helps the developer to take caution and apply optimization from the initial stage. I plan to work with Composite model this year to see what other challenges it throw at me, tackling which would make me become better at DAX

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak thanks for looking into this. The composite model works as a direct query and hence, all the limitations of direct query applies to it, including the possibilty of the background query of a DAX measure being evaluated for >=1M+ combinations. This is where the measure will throw an error. Despite Composite model being super cool, they are hard to maintain unless each and every measure is optimized. In my case, I had a measure with SWITCH which was throwing me the error. The moment I optimized the measure, the error went away. For a composite model to work flawlessly, it challenges the developer to write measure in a super optimized away which in turn helps the developer to take caution and apply optimization from the initial stage. I plan to work with Composite model this year to see what other challenges it throw at me, tackling which would make me become better at DAX

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@smpa01 , seems like these measure query some row level data, that exceeds 10M rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors