Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gusdcruz
Helper I
Helper I

New Column based upon other two columns from two different tables by a category

table a.JPGEvery month the number of animals fed per category is updated on this table

then I have this other table with fixed values that represent the total number of animals in the USA. These two tables are connected by "Categories".  On the table above I want to have a column that represents the % of animas that the company feed based on the US Inventory for each category. How can I do that? I have tried calculate with divide function using sumx, etc... but no sucess. Suggestions please.

table b.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Question why do you want to add it into the table. Many new users try to force an excel paradigm. Note if you do this it will only be calculated once when you load the data and any filters you add to your report won’t affect the results. May be fine if that’s what you want but likely you do t need it.

I would recommend a measure to calculate this and building a matrix or table visual to view your results.

The measure for a calculated column in table 2 would be something
pct of total = Divide( [col from table2],RELATED(Table1[table2column])

You really dont need the metric conversion for the lbs of feed etc either
If you had The following measure
Feed Amount lbs = sum[lbs of feed]
Feed Amount kgs = [Feed Amount lbs]*.454

View solution in original post

@gusdcruz in general you have data in tables along with the the lookup and bidge tables you need and then build meausres you need along with visuals to display the results.  Sometimes calcualted tables and columns come in handy but in general try to avoid them when possible. Measures are calcualted only when needed and columns are calculated for every row. With large data sets this can be very inneficient and in most cases is not necessary. Plus doing it in measures and visuals lets PowerBI do the work for you in context.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Question why do you want to add it into the table. Many new users try to force an excel paradigm. Note if you do this it will only be calculated once when you load the data and any filters you add to your report won’t affect the results. May be fine if that’s what you want but likely you do t need it.

I would recommend a measure to calculate this and building a matrix or table visual to view your results.

The measure for a calculated column in table 2 would be something
pct of total = Divide( [col from table2],RELATED(Table1[table2column])

You really dont need the metric conversion for the lbs of feed etc either
If you had The following measure
Feed Amount lbs = sum[lbs of feed]
Feed Amount kgs = [Feed Amount lbs]*.454

@Seward12533, do you recommend me creating a new table with this new measure? I agree that I am forcing an Excel approach here, and you are correct I am a new user 😉 

thank you for your time

@gusdcruz in general you have data in tables along with the the lookup and bidge tables you need and then build meausres you need along with visuals to display the results.  Sometimes calcualted tables and columns come in handy but in general try to avoid them when possible. Measures are calcualted only when needed and columns are calculated for every row. With large data sets this can be very inneficient and in most cases is not necessary. Plus doing it in measures and visuals lets PowerBI do the work for you in context.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.