Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Network traffic per second

Hello all!

I have a question about how to approach a problem I have with a calculation. 

My data looks like the following:

TimeSourceAdressDestinationAdressBytes
10:0510.10.10.1099.99.99.9910
10:1011.11.11.1166.66.66.6620
10:1511.11.11.1167.67.67.6710
10:2011.11.11.1166.66.66.6612
10:2512.12.12.1277.77.77.7724
10:3010.10.10.1077.77.77.7730

It is connected to a database that updates these fields automatically. Now what I would like to achieve is to calculate how much bytes per seconds/ per minute and per 10 minutes are sent. 

I am not sure how to approach this so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help/ give me a push in the right direction!

(tips about how to visualise this type of data are also very welcome)

Thanks in advance,

L.Meijdam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my assumption, you could create measures like below, and display results in card visual.

sent bytes per seconds = SUM(table8[Bytes])/DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),SECOND)
sent bytes per minute = SUM(table8[Bytes])/DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)
sent bytes per 10 minutes = SUM(table8[Bytes])/(DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)/10)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, please provide more description about how to calculate "bytes per seconds/ per minute and per 10 minutes are sent". It would be better you can show desired putput with examples.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my assumption, you could create measures like below, and display results in card visual.

sent bytes per seconds = SUM(table8[Bytes])/DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),SECOND)
sent bytes per minute = SUM(table8[Bytes])/DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)
sent bytes per 10 minutes = SUM(table8[Bytes])/(DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)/10)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, please provide more description about how to calculate "bytes per seconds/ per minute and per 10 minutes are sent". It would be better you can show desired putput with examples.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

I am sorry the question was not really clear, however the answer you provided worked perfectly for me!

One small thing I was wondering if the measure "Sent bytes per 10 minutes" shouldnt be like this instead:

sent bytes per 10 minutes = SUM(table8[Bytes])/(DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)*10)

Perhaps I misunderstood the measure, but I got the feeling that you would get the result of 1 minute / 10 instead of 10 whole minutes.

Thanks!

Best regards,

L.Meijdam

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes. As you said, if the result should be 1 minute / 10 instead of 10 whole minutes, the measure should be changed to:

sent bytes per 10 minutes = SUM(table8[Bytes])/(DATEDIFF(MIN(table8[Time]),MAX(table8[Time]),MINUTE)*10)

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

This was exactly what I was looking for thanks for the help.

Best regards,

L.Meijdam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.