Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sny23vpb

Nested JSON from PostMan due to Subselect Query

Hello - I was wondering if I could get some assistance to an issue I'm having.  I'm very new to Power BI but trying to solve an issue where I can write a report showing nested JSON output from Postman that essentially breaks out a  main query and subquery together in excel or comparable report..

Doing some research - I found this issue and kind of thought it might help or is at least close, but I can't figure out next steps with the advanced editor -  

Solved: Re: Nested JSON and never end Records - Microsoft Power BI Community

I tried creating two separate queries for each nested array  and joining them together in Power BI  but there was only one record in the second query with expanded JSON no matter how I did the relationships.   I think the solution will be similar to the above link , but I'm trying to get up to speed on the code in the advanced editor and what to change.

Mine Looks like : 

let
Source = Json.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\BR1\OneDrive - \GreenQuery.json")),
data = Source[data],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(data, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "assignment_details__vr"}, {"Column1.id", "Column1.assignment_details__vr"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

A very simple example with just one field looks like this :

sny23vpb_0-1657035536346.png

Not every ID would have a record in the nested field. 

I can keep expanding but I only get down to one record ; I can never get the rows together to show

Ultimately what I'm trying to recreate is something like this :

Column 1Column 2Column3 from  nested array Column 4 from  nested array 
valuevalueNull because no value in subselect on this column 1 recordNull because no value in subselect on this column 1 record
valuevaluevaluevalue
valuevaluevaluevalue
valuevalueNull because no value in subselect on this column 1 recordNull because no value in subselect on this column 1 record

Thanks for any guidance or tips on how I should rewrite/handle this in Power BI or if Power BI is even the right tool.. 

1 REPLY 1
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sny23vpb ,

Can you share the pbix file so that we could do some tests?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.