Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tcoe64
Regular Visitor

Nested IF statements evaluate by Matrix

Hi There - long time enthusiast first time posting

I'm trying to use nested if statements to evaluate a count based on measures that correspond to the row and column of the matrix. The goal is to get the IF statements to identify if a project should have a given gate or not, based on its [Project_Size]. The conditions for this are defined in the IF statement below. 

First, the count

The first measure counts the number of gates that a given project has, for the current period/snapshot (referred to as VAR lat)

TaskStartDate_Lat = //Return latest snapshot task start date
VAR lat = ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[LatTaskSnapshot]
RETURN
COALESCE(CALCULATE(COUNT(ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[TaskStartDate]),ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Snapshot Date]=lat),0)

This works fine and correctly counts 1 or 0 gates as needed for conditional formatting. 

tcoe64_0-1649669191347.png

Second, The harder part

Here VAR cnt refers to the count described above VAR lat refers to the most recent period/snapshot.
I have included // comments for each IF statement that appears to not be working... 

Gate_Checker = //Return latest snapshot task start date
VAR lat = ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[LatTaskSnapshot]
VAR cnt = ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[TaskStartDate_Lat]

RETURN

IF(cnt=1 && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF Lite" && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[P3MF_New_Gate_Lat] IN {"Gate 0","Gate 3","Gate 4","Gate 5"},1,//working
IF(cnt=0 && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF Lite" && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[P3MF_New_Gate_Lat] IN {"Gate 0","Gate 3","Gate 4","Gate 5"},0,//not working 
IF(cnt=0 && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF Lite" && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[P3MF_New_Gate_Lat] IN {"Gate 1","Gate 2"} ,"N/A",//not working
IF(cnt>0 && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF Lite" && ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[P3MF_New_Gate_Lat] IN {"Gate 1","Gate 2"} ,"Unreq Gate",//not working
IF(ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF Agile","Agile",//working
IF(ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="BAU","BAU",//not working
IF(ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC[Project_Size_Lat]="P3MF","X","E")))))))

The result appears to evaluate the first and fifth if statement but not the others???

tcoe64_1-1649669397249.png

Columns: Use column 'ProjectTasksSP_Full_TC'[P3MF_New_Gate] a calculated column
Project Size: Is a column from a related table 'Project Core' - which is related with a unique ID

Any help greatly appreciated - I'm stumped. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @tcoe64 ,

This related with the way the syntax is calculated, in order to evaluate things correctly can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @tcoe64 ,

This related with the way the syntax is calculated, in order to evaluate things correctly can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.