Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nested IF AND Statement/Conditional Column

Hello all, 

I'm a bit stuck and could some help with creating a conditional column or DAX nested IF statement.

Columns 

• Progress (Not Started, Started, Completed)
  • Start Date
  • Complete Date
  • Due Date

I need to create a conditional column or if statement to reflect accurate progress status. The current progress status column is populated by users and can be left blank. Therefore, even if a date is populated in the Start Date column, the status in the Progress column might reflect Not Started. 

I need a column that does the following:

> If Start Date field is not null and the Completed Date is not populated, the status of the Progress column should be populated as In Prorgress

> If Start Date field is not null and the Completed Date is not null, the status of the Progress column should be populated as Completed

There doesn't seem to be a way to add an AND statement to a conditional column. Is this something that could be written in a DAX statement? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

Go to Powerquery -->Add Column -->Custom Column, and write below in your windown, name this column as "Progress"

if [Start Date] <> null and [Complete Date] = null then "In Progress" else if [Start Date] <> null and [Complete Date] <> null then "Completed" else ""

Let me know if this makes sense.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous 

If you want to do that in the Powequery, you can create custom column.

If you want to do that in DAX environment, you can do that also.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @mhossain ! I think a column would be best, but I'm not sure how to go about structing the formula. 

@Anonymous 

Go to Powerquery -->Add Column -->Custom Column, and write below in your windown, name this column as "Progress"

if [Start Date] <> null and [Complete Date] = null then "In Progress" else if [Start Date] <> null and [Complete Date] <> null then "Completed" else ""

Let me know if this makes sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @mhossain , that made sense and works perfectly! I added a few more clauses and it is exactly what I needed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.