Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mona01
Frequent Visitor

Nested Calculate to compute Simple moving Average

Hi, I am new in Dax. I am just going through an article which compute simple moving average.
As per my understanding, it is a calculated column So there is a row context. So the VALUES(SMoving[DayNumber]) have a value of current row.

That query will give me a filter rows on which sum have been calculated.

Savrage= CALCULATE (
sum ( SMoving[Close]),
SMoving[DayNumber] >= VALUES ( SMoving[DayNumber] ) - 3,
SMoving[DayNumber] <= VALUES ( SMoving[Date] )
)

But it is not working. the correct query is given below. Can anyone tell what is happning here.

Savrage= CALCULATE

(    

CALCULATE (        AVERAGE ( Prices[Close] ),        Prices[DayNumber] >= VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] ) - 3,        Prices[DayNumber] <= VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] )   ),   ALLEXCEPT ( Prices, Prices[Stock], Prices[DayNumber] ))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mona01

VALUES( ) is not be affected by row context, only by filter context. If you use VALUES( Table1[Column1] ) directly in a calculated column, you will get a one-column table with the unique values in Table1[Column1], since there is no filter context. 

In the second example that you show, the outermost CALCULATE however converts the row context into a filter context through context transition. In this way, when VALUES( ) is evaluated, there is a filter context that actually filters the current row (and its duplicates, if there are any) and therefore VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] ) will return the value of Prices[DayNumber] in the current row.      

You might want to take a look at this and this articles by the Italian gurus. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mona01

VALUES( ) is not be affected by row context, only by filter context. If you use VALUES( Table1[Column1] ) directly in a calculated column, you will get a one-column table with the unique values in Table1[Column1], since there is no filter context. 

In the second example that you show, the outermost CALCULATE however converts the row context into a filter context through context transition. In this way, when VALUES( ) is evaluated, there is a filter context that actually filters the current row (and its duplicates, if there are any) and therefore VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] ) will return the value of Prices[DayNumber] in the current row.      

You might want to take a look at this and this articles by the Italian gurus. 

Mona01
Frequent Visitor

I would like to know regarding the above query .the below dax is also used calculate and data is also filtring why there is no filter context.

Savrage= CALCULATE (
sum ( SMoving[Close]),
SMoving[DayNumber] >= VALUES ( SMoving[DayNumber] ) - 3,
SMoving[DayNumber] <= VALUES ( SMoving[Date] )
).

for 2nd query

CALCULATE

(    

CALCULATE (        AVERAGE ( Prices[Close] ),        Prices[DayNumber] >= VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] ) - 3,        Prices[DayNumber] <= VALUES ( Prices[DayNumber] )   ),   ALLEXCEPT ( Prices, Prices[Stock], Prices[DayNumber] ))

If we remove ALLEXCEPT ( Prices, Prices[Stock], Prices[DayNumber] ) function . what happen

what is the differnce when calculate use with no filter parameter Vs ALLEXCEPT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors