Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative time data from excel not showing correctly

Hello everyone, 

I have a column from excel  with time variance data, however when I upload this data into PowerBI and select to show it in time format hh:mm:ss, it only shows the positive times correctly, the variances are generally in small increments, thus 00:00:20 etc will show correctly, howeever where there is a negative time e.g. -00:00:30, this then shows up as 23:59:30, basically all the negative times have 23 hours added in front, when I just want it to show the negative time in seconds.

Please note: The time is formatted in 1904 format in excel, due to the fact that I have negative times

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I think the negative value couldn't be a valid time value. Actually we can say it's a duration type. How about counting them as TEXT? Can you share a sample? I can't convert a negative value in my test.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bruno_G

Hi all, i have the same issue... any update / solution?

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I think the negative value couldn't be a valid time value. Actually we can say it's a duration type. How about counting them as TEXT? Can you share a sample? I can't convert a negative value in my test.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I actually tried this too, but after you transform the time to text. You can no longer sum the time in form of time. Do you have an idea how to sum times also including negative times?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.