Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl33609

Negative and positive time to decimal

I have a column of time duration that is formatted as text.  If I try and format the column any other way I lose my negatives.  I need to convert negative and positive time durings such as  -48:00 and -07:47 to time decimal representation such as -48.00 and -7.78.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Daryl33609 
If it works accept the asnwer as solution otherwise explain the issue/requirment  

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

Ignore my prior post.  I made a few more tweaks to your code and got it to work.  Thank you so much for getting me past this issue.  Here is my code:

Column 2 = SWITCH (

TRUE (),

LEFT ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1) = "-", (MID([Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],2,2) + (right ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)] , 2 ) /60)) * - 1,

LEFT ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1) <> "-", (MID([Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1,2) + (right ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)] , 2 ) /60)))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Daryl33609 

You can add a column as follows. I assume you have + and - for each value

Col = 
SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        LEFT ( [Value],1) = "-", (MID([Value],2,2) + (right ( [Value] , 2 ) /60)) * - 1,
        LEFT ( [Value],1) = "+", (MID([Value],2,2) + (right ( [Value] , 2 ) /60)) 
    )

Fowmy_0-1653250507804.png

I am very close, thanks to your script.  The negative transformation is working, but not the positive.  Here is my code:

Column 2 = SWITCH (
TRUE (),
LEFT ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1) = "-", (MID([Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],2,2) + (right ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)] , 2 ) /60)) * - 1,
LEFT ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1) = "+", (MID([Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],2,2) + (right ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)] , 2 ) /60)))
Daryl33609_0-1653388821814.png

Any idea why the positive time is not converting?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you so much.  I will try this!

@Daryl33609 
If it works accept the asnwer as solution otherwise explain the issue/requirment  

Ignore my prior post.  I made a few more tweaks to your code and got it to work.  Thank you so much for getting me past this issue.  Here is my code:

Column 2 = SWITCH (

TRUE (),

LEFT ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1) <> "-", (MID([Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)],1,2) + (right ( [Actual Total Hours (Include Corrections)] , 2 ) /60)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.