Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johajong
Frequent Visitor

Needed help with removing blank values

Hi all, 

I am editing data in the query editor and I want to remove the blank values in the Function column, but not in case the blank value is the only row for a specific Module. How to tackle this one?

ModuleFunction 
Global Sailing Schedules stay
Global Flight Schedules stay
Reports must be removed
ReportsCustomize Reports 
ReportsRun Reports 
ReportsRun Reports -> Schedule 
ReportsRun Reports -> Sea Freight - Route Planning 
ReportsRun Reports -> 1-Stop Vessel Arrival Report 
ReportsRun Reports -> FCL Container Availability 
Confirmations must be removed
ConfirmationsEdit 
ConfirmationsNew 
ConfirmationsDelete 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Johajong 
Paste the below code on in the Advanced Editor on a Blank query and check the steps, All done using GUI.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUVKK1UFiJCEzKuCsYjgrFc4qArOSYRpSkBklSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Module = _t, Function = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Function"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Replaced Value", {"Module"}, {{"Count", each List.Max([Function]), type nullable text}, {"all", each _, type table [Module=nullable text, Function=nullable text]}}),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "all", {"Module", "Function"}, {"Module.1", "Function"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded all", "Custom", each [Count] <> null and [Function]=null),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = false)),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Module.1", "Function"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Johajong
Frequent Visitor

@Fowmy  thanks for your solution, it worked! I have one follow up question, how can I replace "null" in the Function columns for only the FALSE values in the Custom column??

Johajong_0-1604583360361.png

@Johajong 

You can add a custom column: click Add Column Tab > Custom and use the below code. you can select any other column or any preferred value for x and y

if [Function] = null and [Custom] = false then "x" else "y"

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

YouTube  LinkedIn

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Johajong 
Paste the below code on in the Advanced Editor on a Blank query and check the steps, All done using GUI.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUVKK1UFiJCEzKuCsYjgrFc4qArOSYRpSkBklSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Module = _t, Function = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Function"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Replaced Value", {"Module"}, {{"Count", each List.Max([Function]), type nullable text}, {"all", each _, type table [Module=nullable text, Function=nullable text]}}),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "all", {"Module", "Function"}, {"Module.1", "Function"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded all", "Custom", each [Count] <> null and [Function]=null),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = false)),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Module.1", "Function"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

YouTube  LinkedIn

@Fowmy, thanks, but I am not used working with GUI... Is there an easier solution??

@Johajong 

In Power Query, Click Get Data, Choose Blank Query > Go to Advanced Editor in View Menu > Clear all that is there and paste my code.

Now you can check the steps on How I solved it.

YouTube  LinkedIn

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Johajong 

Can you share some sample data in text-tabular format (instead of pic) so that we can run a quick test and show the steps?

I assume the green marks are the rows that stay and the red one the rows that are to be removed, correct?

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Johajong
Frequent Visitor

@AlB , I have sample data uploaded in the first post. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors