Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johajong
Frequent Visitor

Needed help with data model and building matrix visual

Hi all, 

I am trying to make a data model and based on this data model I want to make a matrix visual. My data consists of application permissions. With this, I want to make an authorization matrix. 

The output must be something like this (this is an example based on other data):

Johajong_0-1604504553406.png

The horizontal axis should contain "Business roles" and the vertical axis should contain "IT roles" that are foldable in such a way it shows specific permissions. 

I have 2 Excel data tables: 1 with permission data and 1 with users per group. I have 2 issues I am currently not able to fix:

1. As you can see in the sample data here below, a role can have multiple users and a user can have multiple roles, so there is a many-to-many relationship. How can I tackle this one?

2. As you can notice in the Permission data table here below, it seems like someone who is for example part of the ALL group he/she has the Tariffs & Rates IT role, but the Summary column makes clear he/she has only in case he/she is part of the AME/AMI home branch. 

The matrix visual must show check marks only if the combination Business role & IT role is:

A. Is an combination where someone has been given access to;

B. Is an authorized combination. 

I think B is easy to tackle, because I can make another query where unique combinations Business role & IT role are given. I give this combinations a key and in another column I make clear if the combination is authorized (1 = authorized, 2 = not authorized).

The problem though is I can't find a way to check A where I take into account the Summary column. So, my quesion is, how do I take into account the Summary column in the story??

Thanks for your help!!!

Permission data table (example)

Business roleIT roleSummary
ALLForwardingDenied
ALLMaster DataGranted
ALLTariffs & RatesGranted only for logins to (*, AME | *, AMI)
FinancePayablesGranted

Users per group data (example):

Full nameTitleHome branchGroup
John Finance ManagerAMEALL
PeterOperations Manager ALL
JohnAccounting Manager Finance

1 REPLY 1
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

In your case you need to get your permissions table transformed to include a row for each combination. In this case the key should be a combination of the Home branch and the Group, meaning that there will have to be two rows for the tariffs & rates permission. 

Once you have all different combinations of keys in the permissions table you can add a distinct version of that column as a seperate query, which you then use as a mapping table between the people and the permissionstable. 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.