Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpredmore
Frequent Visitor

Need usage metrics on what's happening BEFORE a report is published!

Hello!

The BI team in my organization is working on onboarding small teams within our company into Self-Service BI reporting using Power BI. We've already trained our first team to use Power BI as a Self-Service BI tool, and now we are trying to see if we can get better visibility into how this team is using Power BI. We are really interested in seeing what they are doing in Power BI prior to actually publishing a report to a workspace. Specifically, we are interested in seeing:

• When someone has connected to the data model we have built for them (which user/date/time)
  • When a report that is being worked on (in Power BI Desktop, before being published) is manually refreshed
  • When a report is published, by which user, and to which workspace
  • If possible (I know this is unlikely) we'd like to see which fields are being used in the reports this team creates

Any help with this would be so appreciated! So far all the information I've been able to find regarding metrics are all based around usage metrics of a report that's already been published.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rpredmore

What we can do is enable audit tracking on your Power BI service in the Office 365 admin portal. Looking at the current actions tracked, there isn't specifically one for edit of a report, but you may get something under "edit dashboard", please refer to the links below to see the details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing

About tracking actions when a report that is being worked on (in Power BI Desktop, before being published) is manually refreshed, you can try this:

vxulinmstf_0-1631776428589.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-diagnostics#performance

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rpredmore

What we can do is enable audit tracking on your Power BI service in the Office 365 admin portal. Looking at the current actions tracked, there isn't specifically one for edit of a report, but you may get something under "edit dashboard", please refer to the links below to see the details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing

About tracking actions when a report that is being worked on (in Power BI Desktop, before being published) is manually refreshed, you can try this:

vxulinmstf_0-1631776428589.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-diagnostics#performance

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@rpredmore Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.