Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TanawatP

Need to show last year data in clustered bar chart that dynamically show last N months

Hi, I have clustered bar chart that dynamically showed 12 months data based on filter by using following DAX formula.

TanawatP_0-1634387213864.png

I need to have second bar chart to show same month last year for comparison and cannot find any DAX that works for this.

I have tried SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR and PARALELLPERIOD, but it did shot seems to work. Can anyone please help me on this?

Thank you!

TanawatP_1-1634387414197.png

3 REPLIES 3
SBIM
Helper I
Helper I

Not sure if this is still an issue for you, but it was for me and this was my solution. I created a YoY quick measure then converted it to be a sum of the prior year.

RevenuePY =
IF(
    ISFILTERED(MyTable[Date]),
    ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE(
            [Revenue],
            DATEADD(MyTable[Date].[Date], -1, YEAR)
        )
    RETURN
        __PREV_YEAR
)

Note [Revenue] is just a seperate measure doing the sum of revenue, you could calculate it directly in the formula if needed.
SBIM_1-1671117192993.png

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @TanawatP 

Hope this is what you're after?  Just an FYI, I created two measures as per below:

CurMthAmount = CALCULATE ( [Total Amount] , DATESMTD ( Table1[Date] ) )
LastPeriod = CALCULATE ( [Total Amount] , DATEADD ( 'Table1'[Date] , -1 , YEAR ) )

Interestingly, I had to first create a Table with Date, Current Period (2021) and Prior Period (2020) and I then converted the table to a Clustered Column Chart ( as below). For some reason, Power BI did not present the LastPeriod measure I created (above) on the Clustered Column Chart.  I have no idea why but I assume it is one of two things: a user error .... or a glitch... Given I have done it a few times before no hassles, I am going to go out and say that it's likely a glitch...

TheoC_0-1634537409634.png

Hope this helps! 

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Thank you for your response, I tried it but the number of months did not change dynamically based on filter selection. i.e. If I have data from Jan 2019 to Oct 2021. When I select filter on Sep-2021, I expect the chart to show data only from Oct-2020 to Sep-2021 only.

You can refer to my DAX in the first screenshot. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.