Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samohtfrd
Regular Visitor

Need to lookup last used value

Dear all,

I have a run into a problem which I would like to ask for some assistance:

My query looks like this:

Index          Article          Model           New column  

1                  A                    F1

2                  B                    F2

3                  C

4                  D

5                  E                    F3

6                  F                    F4

In my new column i would like to add the model. For each line with a blank field in column "Model" I would like to add the most recently used model. The resulting column should look like this:

New Column

F1

F2

F2

F2

F3

F4 

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@samohtfrd your problem is that the blank values are actually empty strings, they need to be null for FillDown to work.  (That is, an empty string is still considered a value.)

Before you do the FillDown, right click the column and choose "Replace Values".  Leave "Values To Find" blank, and under "Replace With" put the word null

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

It is pretty simple and one step process. 

In the Query Editor, Go to Transform Tab and select Fill, Fill Down.

This will solve your Problem.

Blue Circled Section for your reference steps to follow in Query EditorBlue Circled Section for your reference steps to follow in Query Editor

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Dear Bhavesh,

I tried your solution. At first I tried in my original dataset (the example in my post was generalized because of confidential nature of original data), however this did ot yield nay result (the option fill down/up didn't do anything). Then I replicated you printscreen and tried again without any succes:

Capture.JPG

Can you see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks! 

@samohtfrd your problem is that the blank values are actually empty strings, they need to be null for FillDown to work.  (That is, an empty string is still considered a value.)

Before you do the FillDown, right click the column and choose "Replace Values".  Leave "Values To Find" blank, and under "Replace With" put the word null

Thanks for the help! problem solved!

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

What do you mean by most recently used?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

By most recently used i mean the last value in the column "model".

The goal is to, in case of a blank field in "Model", make a formula search for the value in the line above. If that one is empty, search another line above etc. until it finds a value.

I tried using LASTNONBLANK but this formula doesn't seem to give the desired results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.