Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnandNamburi
Helper III
Helper III

Need to flip the bookmarks based on slicer selection

Hi All,

I have a report and in that report i'm having 4 visuals. In the same page I have a slicer and in that if I select "All" first 2 reports need to dipslay and if I select any other except "All" all the 4 reports need to dipslay.

For this I have created 2 bookmarks one with 2 reports & other with 4 reports. But here I'm in aconfused state that how can I map these bookmarks to my slicers. Can anyone help me here to acheive this.

Thanks,

Anand

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AnandNamburi , do you want to change the bookmark based on the slicer value?  I doubt that.

if needed, refer bookmark examples:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTOJC42rg_k

https://radacad.com/clear-all-slicers-in-power-bi-a-bookmark-story

View solution in original post

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AnandNamburi 

It is unsupported to change the bookmark based on the slicer value. There is no 'Action' options for slicers. As a workaround, you may try going to specific bookmark based on buttons. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

c1.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
DanS446
Frequent Visitor

Old thread but, you can do the opposite for similar results. Make a bookmark panel to act as buttons (as a slicer), create your slicer panel, and save each bookmark with a slicer selected and hidden on selection panel. I usually prefer to make bookmarks only interact with selected visuals rather than the whole page.

This way you can also change other things slicers couldnt, like using a parameter on a visual and pick a different legend to show for example. Im using this with the Gantt Chart (microsoft) having 4 types of legend options (since max is 10), and to show different info in tooltip (also limited, to 3 fields)

kayden
Frequent Visitor

Is there really no work around? OR are slicers to trigger measures better? But that would require DAX. And IMO DAX defeats the purpose of having powerBI in the first place (no code BI)

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AnandNamburi 

It is unsupported to change the bookmark based on the slicer value. There is no 'Action' options for slicers. As a workaround, you may try going to specific bookmark based on buttons. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

c1.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AnandNamburi , do you want to change the bookmark based on the slicer value?  I doubt that.

if needed, refer bookmark examples:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTOJC42rg_k

https://radacad.com/clear-all-slicers-in-power-bi-a-bookmark-story

Hi Amit,

Yes you are correct, my requirement is to change the bokmarks based on slicer value.

Hi Anand

I do know it is old post however bookmark based on slicer selection is possible. eg to show or hide some object on dash based on selection. Add measure with if statement eg if(measure="finance",1,0) . Add some visual for new measure with transparency to 100%, add it on top of your data you want to show / hide - when selected data is on then it will show white backgrond as you dash is otherwise will be transparent and will show what is behind. 
Would be better to show example I know :/, I will try to upload this logic into youtube in next 2 to 3 weeks.

I watched the video - thank you for the demo. Do you have any idea how this could be used if I want to replace a particular visual with another visual based on the slicer selection? Say I have a table visual displaying when the slicer has no selection, and when I make a selection with the slicer the table is replaced with a column chart in the same position the table was?

hi,, to swap charts you can do but nt with slicer selection, just with bookmarks and add object on which you click and it changes which one to show and which to hide

Did you ever create a YouTube Vid?

Hi StuartSmith

Here is it, I did quick example.

https://youtu.be/XZVEc-ibn6E

Thanks for this! Although the requirement is to have a bookmark to be sliced. 

I tried to do the same as what you have shown but I see a white border around the category. Is there anyway to not see this? or change it since my background isn't white.

you should be able to modify all, there is option even to transparent or set colour to the colour of your dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.