Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gsraje
Regular Visitor

Need to create measure that calculates percentile

Hi, I'm trying to create a measure that will calculate the percentile based on a measure value. I have slicers based on which the measure value changes. The percentile value should change dynamically with the slicers applied. I tried to use the percentilex.inc function but is giving incorrect results. Can anyone suggest me approach for solving the issue.

I have calculated 5th percentile in a column which gives values as expected but does not change with slicers. I need to create a percentile measure which will change dynamically with slicer selection. 

The calculated column is

5th percentile correct = 
var temp = 
    SUMMARIZE(
        Sheet1,
        Sheet1[ID],
        "max value single column",
        [Max Value Single Measure]
    )
return
    PERCENTILEX.INC(
        temp,
        [max value single column],
    )

The 5th percentile created using a measure is giving incorrect results and also is not dynamic.

gsraje_0-1623817275117.png

Can anyone please suggest how do I write percentile measure which would change with slicer selection and give correct results. 

This is the power bi file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-eS40GPGilrB1cN2BdAdVIn3oIQAmaO/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@gsraje,

You can create a What-if parameter to control the percentile.

1. Create a What-if parameter:

DataInsights_0-1623963899710.png

DataInsights_1-1623963910354.png

2. Set the percentile:

DataInsights_4-1623964401089.png

3. Create measure:

5th percentile measure = 
VAR vTableID =
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( Sheet1[ID] ), ALLSELECTED ( Sheet1 ) )
VAR vTableWithMeasure =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( vTableID, "max value single column", [Max Value Single Measure] )
VAR vResult =
    PERCENTILEX.INC (
        vTableWithMeasure,
        [Percentile Value]
    )
RETURN
    vResult

The measure [Percentile Value] is automatically created when you create the What-if parameter.

4. Display the measure in a visual. Adding it to a table visual as shown in your example produces incorrect results due to the measure being sliced by other columns in the table visual. It works correctly in a card, however, as shown below.

Filtered:

DataInsights_2-1623964268021.png

---------------------------------------------------

Not filtered:

DataInsights_5-1623964558022.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chandramouli_BI
Helper III
Helper III

I have created a scatter plot & created 25th,50th,75th &100th percentiles for both x & y axes. So now my data is into 16 grids. I have created calculated column which assigns each row a grid value based on the percentile values. The problem I am facing is that in my dashboard any filters or slicers are applied the percentile line values are not changing. For ex I have a month slicer if I select particular month the percentile line values not changing & also grid slicer(which I have enabled to filter the data) is also not working properly

Chandramouli_BI
Helper III
Helper III

I have created a scatter plot & created 25th,50th,75th &100th percentiles for both x & y axes. So now my data is into 16 grids. I have created calculated column which assigns each row a grid value based on the percentile values. The problem I am facing is that in my dashboard any filters or slicers are applied the percentile line values are not changing. For ex I have a month slicer if I select particular month the percentile line values not changing & also grid slicer(which I have enabled to filter the data) is also not working properly

gsraje
Regular Visitor

Hi @DataInsights ,

Thank you so much. It worked for me. Although, without creating parameter and passing in value directly works as well. Thanks a lot!

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@gsraje,

You can create a What-if parameter to control the percentile.

1. Create a What-if parameter:

DataInsights_0-1623963899710.png

DataInsights_1-1623963910354.png

2. Set the percentile:

DataInsights_4-1623964401089.png

3. Create measure:

5th percentile measure = 
VAR vTableID =
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( Sheet1[ID] ), ALLSELECTED ( Sheet1 ) )
VAR vTableWithMeasure =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( vTableID, "max value single column", [Max Value Single Measure] )
VAR vResult =
    PERCENTILEX.INC (
        vTableWithMeasure,
        [Percentile Value]
    )
RETURN
    vResult

The measure [Percentile Value] is automatically created when you create the What-if parameter.

4. Display the measure in a visual. Adding it to a table visual as shown in your example produces incorrect results due to the measure being sliced by other columns in the table visual. It works correctly in a card, however, as shown below.

Filtered:

DataInsights_2-1623964268021.png

---------------------------------------------------

Not filtered:

DataInsights_5-1623964558022.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.