Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to calculate distinct count of customers only if the count is greater then one

Hello Power BI community!

I have what looks to be a simple task. I have a table with restaurant reservations. I need to find the repeating customers. In other words I need to do counts of customers where count > 1. This is what I wrote:

Distinct Customers = CALCULATE (
DISTINCTCOUNT ( Resy[Contact_Name__c] ),
FILTER(Resy, DISTINCTCOUNT(Resy[Contact_Name__c] ) > 1)
)

Contact_Name__c is a unique customer identifier. If I drop that measure in a matrix my numbers are way to high. 
 ResyDistinct.png

If I do the same calculation in SQL Server I get:

SQLDistinct.png

T-SQL 

SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(ContactName), Venue
FROM
(
SELECT COUNT(Contact_Name__c) CNT, Contact_Name__c AS ContactName, Venue_Name__c AS Venue
FROM [AnalyticsBI].[sf].[Resy]
GROUP BY Contact_Name__c, Venue_Name__c
HAVING COUNT(Contact_Name__c) > 1
) sql1
GROUP BY Venue

Does anybody have any idea why the counts are off?

Thanks!

Stan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kriscoupe
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous,

Might be able to help on this one. The reason your numbers are too high is likely because your haven't initiated context transition in your FILTER statement. FILTER iterates row-by-row and will be putting the value of the DISTINCTCOUNT of customers in every row (this is always going to be > 1 unless you have 1 or zero customers). Try this

Distinct Customers =
COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(
        VALUES( Resy[Contact_Name__c] ),
        CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Resy ) ) > 1
    )
)

Effectively this formula create a table with the unique list of Contact_Name_c (the VALUES) and iterates over this keeping the Contact_Name_c where there is more than 1 row in the table. The COUNTROWS then counts these up.

Hope it helps.

Kris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kriscoupe
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous,

Might be able to help on this one. The reason your numbers are too high is likely because your haven't initiated context transition in your FILTER statement. FILTER iterates row-by-row and will be putting the value of the DISTINCTCOUNT of customers in every row (this is always going to be > 1 unless you have 1 or zero customers). Try this

Distinct Customers =
COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(
        VALUES( Resy[Contact_Name__c] ),
        CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Resy ) ) > 1
    )
)

Effectively this formula create a table with the unique list of Contact_Name_c (the VALUES) and iterates over this keeping the Contact_Name_c where there is more than 1 row in the table. The COUNTROWS then counts these up.

Hope it helps.

Kris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kris, that did the trick! Thank you! I will still have to grasp the DAX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.