Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jos3bosch
Frequent Visitor

Need help!!!!

Hi, i'm new to PowerBI and try to find answers to questions i have. I don't knbow how to get answers since ms support isn't capable (??!) and don't know were to go (i searched all available documentation). All though i hope to receive some valuable answers from community members, i'm also willing to pay for answers when this takes time to search this out. Let me know! What i hope i can find here is feedback and answers that point me in the right direction or solution(s), or simply; 'what you want can't be done', or 'a workaround for that is ....' Some background:

We want to embed PowerBI dashboards (embedded version) in a portal. We will collect (benchmark-) data from several companies with survey software. Per company we collect data on more levels: team level, busines sunit level, country level, global .. Values of a company that participates in a benchmark will be compared to the average scores in their own industry. Data will stored in MS CRM and we want to deploy a portal where we embed pre-defined PowerBI dashboards that can viewed by participants.

Questions:

All participants are stored in MS CRM in hierarchical parent-child relationships and we want to use this hierarchical tree for defining user viewing rights for the dashboards. Dashboards are pre-defined and when logging in the user viewing rights should be based on some parameters that are stored in MS CRM for that contact: (a) the company ID, (b) the Industry ID that should be selected for the benchmark data, (c) the dashboard Id(s) for that contact, (d) IMPORTANT: the hierarchy level of that user: level 1 would mean that the user is a team manager, and only can see the scores of his team, level 2 is busines sunit manager, can see all teams that in hierarchy are 'child', level 3 is the director that can see all teams, all business units etc. QUESTIONS:

(1) since i can't find documentation on this for the embedded version; can we 'finegrane' the permissions to this sort of personal level within a combination of MS CRM and / within an integrated portal? I know about 'row level security', but can't see hoe i could deploy that in a combination of a portal (login credentials for portal) and embedded PowerBI dashboards. Could you point in a direction for solutions for that??

(2) we need to automate the process for deployment of the dashboards and user creation: when a new company subscribed and data are in database we want to deploy automated workflow process for: (a) send contact record data to PowerbI and / or portal? , (b) create PowerBU user with permissions passed from MS CRM to PowerBI (see above) (c) configure pre-defined dashboard for that user based on passed parameters, (d) send by email login credentials to this new user. Questions: any suggestions how to configure this?? Any limitations for this ? Or practical workarounds??

(3) Any suggestions what portal solution to choose? (other portal functionalities we need are limited) We looked at ADXstudio, Peak Portals and / or deploy standard MS portal?? Crucial part is the easiest and most secure solution to deploy PowerBI embedded dashboards in a way that the login credentials for the portal automatically define the permissions for the dashboards!!

(4) Since all companies have a hierarchic structure (team - business unit - country - global) we are looking for a way that, say an user with global rights, can view everything and, if wanted, he can select an underlying country to view, or a business unit in a country, or all countries aggregrated. I can't find any documentation on this (only for 'time-based' drill down). Any suggestions. workarounds or other advice hoe we could achieve this?

(5) Upfront it is not known what the hierarchic structure of a new company is, especially the levels of that company: it could be company with 2 levels (like 3 teams, and 1 business unit as a parent) but also 4 levels global (teams, business units, etec.). We want to present to the user a hierarchic tree in the dashboards, a Hierarchy Slicer. But: would it - and how? - be possible to dynamically configure that for a new company / customer, based on the data in database? What i mean: when only 2 levels, only that levels are shown, when 4, 4 levels plus childs etc. ???

Thanks very much!, best, Jos

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The vehicle for official support is support.powerbi.com and then "Contact Support".

I do not believe that RLS (row level security) is currently supported in Power BI Embedded right now.

Are all participants in MS CRM on-premises, online or a mix of both?

Your best bet with how things are currently would probably be to suck all of the information into a SQL Server Analysis Services cube and use an Enterprise Gateway and DirectQuery to connect to it and pass along the user credentials, so basically using SSAS security trimming.

Another option that I am going to find out more today would be SQL Server 2016 with RLS.

For automation, perhaps PowerShell to script the creation of the necessary security rights in SQL.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.