Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lux_sgupta
Frequent Visitor

Need help with the logic to join two tables with incremental data

Hi All,

I have two tables Master (Date, Id, new_name) and Input(Date, id, input_name). Could you please help me out with the logic in Power BI ( or SQL) so that whenever there is a new input_name in the Input table, the Master Table's new_name should get updated starting the date of entry without changing the previous days name ?

- Date+id is a unique record.

- Master Table overwrites everytime, it doesn't append data.

- Table 1 (date, Id) + Input table (date, id, input_name) = Master table(date,id,new_name)  

I'd appreciate any suggestion. 

Annotation 2019-12-16 115512.png 

Thanks,

Shivam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lux_sgupta add following column in Master table, change table and column name as per your model

Name =  
CALCULATE( 
    MAX ( 'I Table'[Name] ),  
    TOPN ( 
        Filter ( 
            'I Table', 
            'I Table'[id] = 'M Table'[id] && 
            'I Table'[date] <= 'M Table'[date] 
        ), 
        'I Table'[date], 
        DESC 
    ) 
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@lux_sgupta assuming input table will have unique record for id + date for the name, correct? If that is the case, solution is going to be very simple.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Yes, Date+id is a unique record.

@parry2k  I would also like to mention that Master Table overwrites everytime, it doesn't append data.

Table 1 (date, Id) + Input table (date, id, input_name) = Master table(date,id,new_name)  

@lux_sgupta add following column in Master table, change table and column name as per your model

Name =  
CALCULATE( 
    MAX ( 'I Table'[Name] ),  
    TOPN ( 
        Filter ( 
            'I Table', 
            'I Table'[id] = 'M Table'[id] && 
            'I Table'[date] <= 'M Table'[date] 
        ), 
        'I Table'[date], 
        DESC 
    ) 
)

@parry2k  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.