Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sublog
Helper III
Helper III

Need help with structuring data for Month 1-24 relative comparison between calendar years.

Hi - I've been tasked to set up an output in PowerBI that looks like this. I'm really struggling to try to think about how to structure this data. I have all of the measures needed to calculate these totals, but I can't figure out how to present them. I have a typical star schema with a calendar table. 

Basically, for each year Months (1-24), I need to know what % of the total annual order volume was cancelled in that month. I can't think of a way to show each month relative to that year's cohort of orders. 

I'm sorry I can't share the file, it's too large and would be impossible to sanitize. I just can't think of how / a way to create something that looks like below. 

Yes, I know I skipped months 7-22 to cut down on space. 

CancelledMonth 1Month 2Month 3Month 4Month 5Month 6Month 23Month 24Total
2018 orders0.5%0.2%0.7%0.8%0.8%1.0%0.8%0.7%21.6%
2019 orders0.5%0.3%0.7%0.8%0.6%0.9%0.8%0.6%21.2%
2020 orders0.5%0.2%0.7%0.8%0.8%1.0%0.8%0.7%23.1%
2021 orders0.5%0.2%0.7%0.8%0.8%1.0%  12.0%
2022 orders0.4%0.2%       

Monthly outcome equation is cancelled revenue in the month / total annual order revenue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sublog
Helper III
Helper III

I figured out a solution on my own. I used a calculated column in my fact table that counted the number of months between that year and the cancel date, built a dimension table off of that into a matrix grid and calculated the % of the total year using this dax measure as my denominator. 

All (Except) =
CALCULATE (
[Total Orders Open],
REMOVEFILTERS ( 'Calendar' ),
REMOVEFILTERS ( 'Main' ),
VALUES ( 'Calendar'[Year] )
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sublog
Helper III
Helper III

I figured out a solution on my own. I used a calculated column in my fact table that counted the number of months between that year and the cancel date, built a dimension table off of that into a matrix grid and calculated the % of the total year using this dax measure as my denominator. 

All (Except) =
CALCULATE (
[Total Orders Open],
REMOVEFILTERS ( 'Calendar' ),
REMOVEFILTERS ( 'Main' ),
VALUES ( 'Calendar'[Year] )
)

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @sublog 

I recommend using a Matrix visual as presented below:

TheoC_0-1646085377108.png

I hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Thanks Theo, however I need more than 12 months so that solution won't work unless I am missing something.

Hi @sublog 

There are only 12 months in a year.  You can have as many years in the row level.  If you look at the screenshot, the YEAR is at the Row level in the visual.  It provides for a clear way of presenting your data in a table.

Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Thanks heaps,
Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.