Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rahuldas_vgm
Helper I
Helper I

Need help with sorting alphanumeric values

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution to how to sort alphanumeric values in a matrix visual. I have values :R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 R10.

These values are coming from a New column (not calculated column from edit query but from data window) made containing measure which is calculating the R1 R10 values. I need R10 to be showing up after R9 instead of after R1.

Since the column wont appear in edit query, is there a way i can make R10 appear after R9?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestion 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rahuldas_vgm
Helper I
Helper I

I guess i figured out a way to resolve the problem. By adding zero width space unichar() one can manage to tackle these kind of problem. Also adding space between the alphabet and number helps for numeric values in single digit, like R1 R10 R2 R3 will be sorted as R 1 R 2..... R 9 R10.

In case someone comes up with a more convincing solution please help! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rastus

Posting this here for anyone else looking fr a solution:
Sort one column by another column in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

rahuldas_vgm
Helper I
Helper I

I guess i figured out a way to resolve the problem. By adding zero width space unichar() one can manage to tackle these kind of problem. Also adding space between the alphabet and number helps for numeric values in single digit, like R1 R10 R2 R3 will be sorted as R 1 R 2..... R 9 R10.

In case someone comes up with a more convincing solution please help! 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@rahuldas_vgm Duplicate your column in Power Query. Do a replace to remove the R with nothing (null). Use this as your Sort By column for your R1-R10 column.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler for helping! 
The column will not show in query edit as it is a created column referencing a measure.
I am unable to write the dax code in edit query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.