Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with dimension and fact tables. Unable to build queries for report.

I am building a report table that queries six tables. The primary table is Account which has information on patients (name, provider ID number, date of birth, etc.). The five other tables provide data related to the patient (health condition, case information, health care goals, and email campaign data). I set up the data model with the idea that the Account table is the center of the star with the other tables relating to it. It appears the Account table is a dimension table and the other tables are fact tables because of the one-to-many relationships shown in the diagram.

I can build a report using the data in Account, Goal, and Case tables. I can build another report that has the data from Account and Identified Condition. I need a report that can pull data from Account, Case, Goal, and Identified Condition. When I try to do this I get the 'Can't display the data because Power BI can't deterine the relationship between two or more fields.' message.

The Account ID field in the Account table is tied to the corresponding Account ID fields in the other tables.

The data is from Salesforce Objects pulled from Salesforce into Power BI through the connector.

Currently at a loss on how to fix this. Any suggestions?

Data DiagramData Diagram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous ,

'Can't display the data because Power BI can't determine the relationship between two or more fields.'

You are trying to use two or more fields from tables that are not related. You need to remove the unrelated fields from the visual and then create a relationship between the tables. Once you have done this change, you can add the fields back to the visual. Refer: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

In this case,  The table is on many side of the relationship and it cannot filter another table  (which is on one side). On relationship, change cross filter direction to both and it should work. 

You can refer this simliar issue: Can-t-determine-relationship-between-fields

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@Anonymous ,

'Can't display the data because Power BI can't determine the relationship between two or more fields.'

You are trying to use two or more fields from tables that are not related. You need to remove the unrelated fields from the visual and then create a relationship between the tables. Once you have done this change, you can add the fields back to the visual. Refer: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

In this case,  The table is on many side of the relationship and it cannot filter another table  (which is on one side). On relationship, change cross filter direction to both and it should work. 

You can refer this simliar issue: Can-t-determine-relationship-between-fields

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous Did you have a measure created? Sometimes they will drive the context properly. Such as Cases = countrows('Case') and Goals = countrows('Goal') and Identified Conditions = countrows('Indentified Conditions').  

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Follow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data
See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.