Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

macomaco
Regular Visitor

Need help with data modelling

Hi everybody,

I need help with data modelling in Power BI Desktop. My problem is that it takes forever to load the data as the there are more than 1.5 million rows in the database. I have a query for getting the data but doing filtering in Power BI using the slicer takes too long to load. I loaded the data in "Import" mode as the groupings and custom columns aren't supported in "DirectQuery" mode. Also if it may help you. I have tried loading the query in DIrectQuery but prompts an error saying "Couldn't load schema", I'm thinking this is because of the old version of the database as it is from SQL Server 2005. I hope someone can help me with this issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated. If you need more information such as the query I'm currently using I will provide it immidiately. Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @macomaco,

When you connect SQL Server through SSMS, there is no problem? When you get data from SQL Server in Direct Query, you get the error message?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

I receive no errors when connecting through SSMS. I assumed it was because of the version of the database as I read somewhere before that the "Couldn't load schema" error was caused by using a really old data source with Power BI leaving no choice but to use Import instead of the DirecQuery mode.

Hi @macomaco,

Yes, if it's caused by old version. You have to use import mode.

Thanks,
Angelia 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.