Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sashwato
Helper II
Helper II

Need help with Occurrence of Distinct Count

Hello all,

I am trying to do a distinct count of people based on date ending period. So, if a person in Region X under Project A is counted once for a date period, then he/she need not be counted again for any other region and project as well. This is characterized by Date field available. Below screenshot is from the PowerQuery setup:

Sashwato_0-1627366781977.png

As you can see from above, I merged the Date and the username to generate a unique Index ID. I plotted a matrix chart to check and below is something I am getting:

Test data snapshot.PNG

If you take a look, on 1/31/2021 - Danny is distinct counted multiple times in projects: ABC, ZKY and GHI. We want Danny to be counted only once for that date period 1/31/2021. Currently I am doing Distinct count of the INDEX column. Please suggest any solution for the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sashwato ,

You can add an index column like

10.png

11.png

The Merged column is created by dax

Merged = [Date]&"-"&[Username]

Then I create the following rank column

Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Table',[Merged]=EARLIER('Table'[Merged])),[Index],,ASC,Dense)

12.png

Finally create a measure

Measure = IF(MAX('Table'[Rank])=1,1)

13.png

You can click Show items with no data to display empty values.

14.png

Check more details from the attachment

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sashwato ,

You can add an index column like

10.png

11.png

The Merged column is created by dax

Merged = [Date]&"-"&[Username]

Then I create the following rank column

Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Table',[Merged]=EARLIER('Table'[Merged])),[Index],,ASC,Dense)

12.png

Finally create a measure

Measure = IF(MAX('Table'[Rank])=1,1)

13.png

You can click Show items with no data to display empty values.

14.png

Check more details from the attachment

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sashwato , In the project view it will be counted or shown multiple times. But as you can see on grand total it counted once. That is correct.

Yes @amitchandak true. I agree, however our management would like to see the count against the name being shown once once rather than 3 times in other projects since they would like to track it on individual basis. 

Is there a measure or something that helps with it?

Regards!

@Sashwato , Try a measure like

measure =
var _1 = calculate(min(Table[project]), filter(allselected(Table) ,Table[project] = min(Table[project] ))
return
if( not(isblank(distinctCOUNT(Table[Index]))) && max(Table[project]) =_1 , distinctCOUNT(Table[Index]), blank())

Thank you @amitchandak 

I tried using the measure to my context as below:

Updated measure =
var _1 = calculate(min(Sheet1[Client]), filter(allselected(Sheet1) ,Sheet1[Client] = min(Sheet1[Client] )))
return
if( not(isblank(DISTINCTCOUNT(Sheet1[Index]))) && max(Sheet1[Client]) =_1 , DISTINCTCOUNT(Sheet1[Index]), blank())

I am seeing the below results still the same as it shows 1 on ABC, ZKY and GHI for Danny on 1/31/2021:

Capture27.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.