Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with DAX to display measures

I want to display calculated measures Tx1 - Tx6

I want these KAY1 - KAY6  to display bar charts  correctly in this same bar chart when the chiclet or slicer is selected. 

I have used the switch in a new column(STATION) to use multiple criteria(measures) against corresponding four fields as below :

STATION = SWITCH(BH1_Seismic[Member],"MTRA","KAY1","MTRC","KAY2","MTRE","KAY3","MTRA","KAY4","MTRC","KAY5","MTRF","KAY6",BH1_Seismic[Member])

The field has only MTRA, MTRC, MTRE and MTRF for the corresponding KAY1, KAY2, KAY3, KAY4, KAY5 and KAY6

But my calculated column expression for STATION returned: KAY1, KAY2, KAY3 and KAY6... It didnt return KAY4 and KAY5.

Maybe there is a better option..Maybe you can help me with a DAX expression like ‘Lookup’ or an ‘if’ expression or a better work around.

See field relation below:

MTRA

KAY1

MTRC

KAY2

MTRE

KAY3

MTRA

KAY4

MTRC

KAY5

MTRF

KAY6

I intend to return KAY1, KAY2, KAY3, KAY4, KAY5 and KAY6

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

Share the sample with less raw data and remove all unnecessary things. No calculated columns or measures, just explain your original requirement.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You have the wrong understanding of SWITCH Function. Forget it, just use one measure.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What measure should I use??..

Please assist ..

.What is the best approach to achieve this.. I have sent you the pbix file

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve created the tables and made the relationships..

Now With ‘SWITCH’, I can now display KAY1-KAY6

I have dragged STATION to legend.. Also tried dragging Mnemonics to legend.

But the data output is same for KAY1 and KAY4…and KAY2 and KAY5 which is not supposed to be so .

The displayed data are supposed to be different values as they are feeding differently from another table which has KMAT-1 and KMAT-2 .

See field relation below

MTRA

KMAT-1

KAY1

MTRC

KMAT-1

KAY2

MTRE

KMAT-1

KAY3

MTRA

KMAT-2

KAY4

MTRC

KMAT-2

KAY5

MTRF

KMAT-2

KAY6

Please I want to be able to display data for each selected site for each particular day.

I've tried different Switch statement but they still output same values for KAY1/KAY4 and KAY2/KAY5.

Also If I select KAY2 and KAY5, same time, or KAY1 and KAY4 same time, The bar chart disappears.

Please assist

@Anonymous,

The data you provide are inconsistent. It makes us confused.

Anonymous
Not applicable

v-chuncz-msft,

I do appreciate your time.

I have been providing this same data here  and got solutions to similar issues. The data is straightforward and unambigous.

v-ljerr-msft, Simon_Hou-MSFT, Eric_Zhang, v-yulgu-msft, v-qiuyu-MSFT ,  smoupre etc

have all been providing me clear solutions which I followed up. Here they introduced me to SWITCH and various other workaround.

I do appreciate your help and really want to learn DAX. I have been learning . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've sent to your email the  other replica Pbix file which is now live, working, deployed and running perfectly:

I was successful in using the switch in this different project that has 2 one to one fields.

But this present  project has one to many fields..Thats why i made my initial submission in the thread for help. 

I was thinking  lookup or if or any other workaround  can help.. Actually the creation of the new tables you suggested helped in displaying the measures but it is not pulling the data appropriately.

I only know Switch for now.

@Anonymous,

Simplify your model as much as possible and illustrate with dummy data. Otherwise, it's hard to understand your situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your time.

I was successful in using the switch in a different project that has 2 one to one fields.

But This project has one to many fields..Thats why i was thinking  lookup or if or anyother workaorund  can help.

I've sent the other replica perfect project to your email. This is now live, working, deployed and running perfectly with same principle:

@Anonymous,

Share the sample with less raw data and remove all unnecessary things. No calculated columns or measures, just explain your original requirement.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Your requirement is not very clear to us. Check if RELATEDTABLE Function helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've tried the RelatedTable but cant get the syntax for the Dax expression.

My switch expression would have worked but the  snag is it  returns only one of the MTRA(for KAY1) and MTRC(for KAY2).

I want it to also return the MTRA for KAY4 and MTRC for KAY5.

Maybe switch is only returning unique.

I've sent the pbix file to your email.

@Anonymous,

Add two tables and create relationships, then drag STATION to Legend.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please, how do I  create a new table..

I have tried creating and got the below ...Data view-> New Table....

dis.PNG

How do I create the other Table?? Do i need to add a formula :? Please What is the calculation to create/add the table??

Did you have a look at the PBix file?

@Anonymous,

Simply click Enter Data from the Home tab.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve created the tables and made the relationships..

Now With ‘SWITCH’, I can now display KAY1-KAY6

I have dragged STATION to legend.. Also tried dragging Mnemonics to legend.

But the data output is same for KAY1 and KAY4…and KAY2 and KAY5 which is not supposed to be so .

The displayed data are supposed to be different values as they are feeding differently from another table which has KMAT-1 and KMAT-2 .

See field relation below

MTRA

KMAT-1

KAY1

MTRC

KMAT-1

KAY2

MTRE

KMAT-1

KAY3

MTRA

KMAT-2

KAY4

MTRC

KMAT-2

KAY5

MTRF

KMAT-2

KAY6

Please I want to be able to display data for each selected site for each particular day.

I've tried different Switch statement but they still output same values for KAY1/KAY4 and KAY2/KAY5.

Also If I select KAY2 and KAY5, same time, or KAY1 and KAY4 same time, The bar chart disappears.

********************************************************************************************************

I have used the switch in a new column(STATION) :

STATION = SWITCH(BH1_Seismic[Member],"MTRA","KAY1","MTRC","KAY2","MTRE","KAY3","MTRA","KAY4","MTRC","KAY5","MTRF","KAY6",BH1_Seismic[Member])

See my Data display measure below:

Measure =
 SWITCH( TRUE(),
   VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member])= "KAY1", [KAY1],
   VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member]) = "KAY2", [KAY2],
   VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member]) = "KAY3", [KAY3],
    VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member]) = "KAY4", [KAY4],
    VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member]) = "KAY5", [KAY5],
    VALUES(BH1_Seismic[Member]) = "KAY6", [KAY6],
BLANK())

Please assist

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.