Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with DAX for different fortnight dates from two tables

Hi Experts,

I have data sourced from two tables. I want to pull the data on a table/matrix visual from both the tables grouped by fortnight end dates, based on fortnight period range selected on the data slicer. Something like this:

two tab cap.PNG

One of the tables already has fortnight end dates(say table1), but the other (say table2)doesn't. So, I added two new columns (week = weeknum(table2 [date]) and fortnight = cieling(week/2,1)to Table2, to calculate fortnight end dates. 

But I don't get the fortnight end dates same as fortnight end dates of table1. Hence, the totals I pull from table 2 on the report are incorrect.

Please find link to sample pbi file:  Please note in the file, Table (4) is Table2 from above scenario.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag919_pO_UKrbwbzdOgVZ28Lhtk?e=OvrwoC

Really hope some expert can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Meena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The column of "service date" is text. You need to change it to date. I created a new table that is the same as table(4). The calculation result is different from your expected result because of the data type. Please check if it is what you want.

• Calculated column

last date = CALCULATE(MAX('Dim week ending'[Week ending]),FILTER('Dim week ending','Dim week ending'[Week ending] <= EARLIER('Dim week ending'[Week ending])-1))
  • Measure
Amount = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[amount]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Service date] <= MAX('Dim week ending'[Week ending]) && Table1[Service date] > MAX('Dim week ending'[last date])
))

3.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The column of "service date" is text. You need to change it to date. I created a new table that is the same as table(4). The calculation result is different from your expected result because of the data type. Please check if it is what you want.

• Calculated column

last date = CALCULATE(MAX('Dim week ending'[Week ending]),FILTER('Dim week ending','Dim week ending'[Week ending] <= EARLIER('Dim week ending'[Week ending])-1))
  • Measure
Amount = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[amount]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Service date] <= MAX('Dim week ending'[Week ending]) && Table1[Service date] > MAX('Dim week ending'[last date])
))

3.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The tables are not joined hence filter will not work.  There two ways you can try. Create a date table  ( calendar)with a fortnight end date and join it both tables on a date.

2nd you can try like this. As of now, it not working because columns like service date or fortnight date are not date columns

New Amount = 
var _min_date =min('Table'[Date])
var _max_date =min('Table'[Date]) 
return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table (4)'[amount]),'Table (4)'[Service date] >=_min_date && 'Table (4)'[Service date] <=_max_date)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @amitchandak, but even if I join the two tables the solution doesn't achieve the functionality I am after.

Check this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dl5xi0hxfhu6rw/Sample.pbix?dl=0

Created a common time table. Changed the date format to date. Joined the data tables with the new dim.

As of now, dim is limited by the dates you had in Table(4). So if you have all the dates it should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.