Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wkelly1002
Frequent Visitor

Need help with DAX equation. It will not recognize "Yes" or "No" in column

Hello,

My column name "POE Chargeable Event" has multiple rows containing either a "Yes","No", or just left blank.

I created a calculated column that will search the "POE Chargeable Event" column and display "POE" everytime it finds a "Yes" in the "POE Chargeable Event" column. I have used this equation a 1000 times and it always works. I know the syntax is correct because I have tried with other columns and it works fine, however, for some reason this DAX equation will not pick up on either the "Yes" or "No in the column.

I wonder since there are blank rows that it is throwing the calculation off? Please help if you can.

POE Chargeable = 
IF('Active RCA Audit'[POE CHARGEABLE EVENT]="Yes","POE",BLANK())

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wkelly1002,

Is there any possiblity that your original "Yes" in the DAX contains space?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Your formula is correct, and blanks should not affect the explicit match on Yes. Can you double-check the data in that column and verify that it truly is still Yes/No/Blank as text and wasn't changed to a boolean 1/0, True/False, etc?

POE.PNG

How do you verify if it is "still Yes/No/Blank as text and wasn't changed to a boolean 1/0, True/False, etc?"

When I go back and manully type the word "Yes" over the original "Yes" in the column it works fine. So somehow it does not identify the original word "Yes" as a text.

For verification, I meant check the data itself to make sure that it's actually Yes/No. You could do this by going to the Data pane from the default Report pane in Power BI Desktop. Based on the fact that your follow up states that you could get it working in a different manner though, it's likely not a data issue.

@wkelly1002,

Is there any possiblity that your original "Yes" in the DAX contains space?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.