Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with Azure data lake storage with PBI desktop

Goal: Combine/Merge different datasources from ADLS and put them in PBI and make visualizations, reports out of it 

1) I have total 6  folders in ADLS Gen1 (all .JSON files) , out of 6 , 5 of them are belongs to one datasource , and remaining belongs to other one , when i tried to get them into PBI , and transform it, error popped up while clicked on "Binary" field in query editor and window popped says "report this issue" (that's all , nothing happend later) 

2) please put me in right direction inorder to acheive above 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

See below steps:

The metadata for this "table" is actually the subfolder - for us, that's the 2017 subfolder under RawData. If we click on the Table hyperlink, we are taken to the metadata for the monthly folders:

PowerBI_ADLS3.jpg

At this point, we don't want to navigate down any more because we want files that are present in each of those monthly folders. What we want to do is click on the "Expand" button:

1jpg.jpg

our steps above might differ a bit depending on your folder structure. 

Now we see that it has detected the presence of the individual files across the multiple folders. Now it's time to click on the "Combine Files" button:

Here is the reference:https://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2018/5/6/querying-data-in-azure-data-lake-store-with-power-bi

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Pls pay attention to the place I marked in red rectangle.

Annotation 2020-05-18 171057.png

You can refer to :

https://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2018/5/6/querying-data-in-azure-data-lake-store-with-power-bi

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks  @v-kelly-msft , let me re explain what i'm looking for 
1) I have two different data folders(X,Y) in same ADLS GEN1 storage (all files are JSON format

2) I have one common field in both X,Y folders (these two folders contains two different data) 

3) When i tried merging , i'm getting only one X data , but Y is coming  "NULL"

Now, i would like to merge X,Y folder data by using "join"(just like command in Splunk) 

ex: dataset 'X' |join "my common field" '<dataset Y>'

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

See below steps:

The metadata for this "table" is actually the subfolder - for us, that's the 2017 subfolder under RawData. If we click on the Table hyperlink, we are taken to the metadata for the monthly folders:

PowerBI_ADLS3.jpg

At this point, we don't want to navigate down any more because we want files that are present in each of those monthly folders. What we want to do is click on the "Expand" button:

1jpg.jpg

our steps above might differ a bit depending on your folder structure. 

Now we see that it has detected the presence of the individual files across the multiple folders. Now it's time to click on the "Combine Files" button:

Here is the reference:https://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2018/5/6/querying-data-in-azure-data-lake-store-with-power-bi

Best Regards,
Kelly

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous are you using ADLS Gen 1 as a data source? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Yes sir

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.