cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wbhite
Frequent Visitor

Need help understanding how this visual works

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a simple bar chart and can't understand why it's condensing the bars, as shown below.  Thanks!

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
mwimberger Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: Need help understanding how this visual works

Hi @wbhite

This squishing of the bars together is due to the measure that is creating the bars giving a result that is zero for some periods on the x axis. One approach is to use a conditional if statement that sets the measure result to blank() if the result is zero. I presume your x axis is a date axis ? So what is happening is all periods in your (selected) date period are plotting even if there are zeros.
You can also on the visual controls choose not to plot this and choose only plot points with data.

I’ll draw up an example for you shortly
Cheers
Manfred
mwimberger Resolver II
Resolver II

Re: Need help understanding how this visual works

Hi   

Ok, first things first : make sure that the axis ( or shared axis for a composite line / bar graph ) does not have the "Show Items with no data " ticked.

no items.jpg

Then if this doesn't solve it fully, adjust your measure with an if statement to set items that are blank or zero to blank

Measure_Test = IF ( ISBLANK ( Calculation_you_want ), BLANK (), calculation_you_want ) 

Let me know if you come right

Cheers

Manfred

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors