Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Krishna_Mysore
Helper II
Helper II

Need help to insert space (Blank Row) in a Matrix Visual

Hello

I have matrix visual with metrics on the Rows as shown below. This matrix is sourced from a Table called KPI .

I would like to have blank space after each category . This I have achieved by inputting  a set of periods after each category . 

The matrix visual now gives a blank row as I wanted but the row category with the spaces does not appeal hence I'm seeking a more elegant way of inserting a blank . Any ideas?

Regards

K

NBO Matrix.PNGKPI Table.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
vvadlapatla
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Krishna_Mysore 

Do you find any alternative solution you are looking for to insert a blank row in between the categories? or else can you please direct me how you have done with -------. Thanks

@vvadlapatla 

I did a work around to resolve this.

1) Where ever I needed a blank space, I created row header with some characters either dots or * so that I have unique row header.

2) As these appears on the matrix when you place them under Rows, I have used text boxes on the matrix visual to hide them.

Hope this helps.

Hi!  

Thanks for the answer. I can indeed do that for some tables! However it does not work for tables that are dynamic and which number of rows change depending on filters.

Best,

Léa

LéaGr
Helper I
Helper I

Hi averybody,

I am facing today the exact same issue and the solution of @Anonymous  does not correspond to my issue as it does not display a blank in Row headers. As I need a blank to separate two groups of lines in the matrix as a format trick. Does anybody knows how to insert a total blank row (header included)?

Many thjanks!

Best,

Léa

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Krishna_Mysore,

=> This I have achieved by inputting  a set of periods after each category .

What is the category? What's the relation between category and table KPI?

Could you please share us your pbix file with OneDrive or Google Drive if possible? It will help us more to understand your requirement.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi @v-xjiin-msft

Link to the PBIX file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AilocBFrwwn5gSJbe0MXicxDvl7b

Thanks

Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I was going through your post and observed the sample PBI file shared. 

Need help on a similar scenario where i need to display the Blank rows in Matrix Visual. I have posted my request and below is the link.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-help-on-designing-Visual/m-p/561243#M264742

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have explored and Found solution to display the blank rows  in the Matrix visual ( i.e. display the rows  which has no values)

Refer the post  i submitted for more details (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-help-on-designing-Visual/m-p/561243#M264742)

Solution:

Rows  -->  select the Row field and right click and choose "Show items with no data" option.

Same applies to,

Columns --> select the Column field and right click and choose "Show items with no data" option.

Refer the below working visual:

Item5 has blank values but still the entire Item5 Row is displayed in the Matrix visual. 

DisplayBLANKROWSCapture.PNG

Hi @Krishna_Mysore,

First, thanks for sharing your pbix file. 

However I still don't understand about "This I have achieved by inputting  a set of periods after each category. The matrix visual now gives a blank row as I wanted but the row category with the spaces does not appeal".

What are the categories? Did you mean [Site Description]? For your current Matrix, you can select the Expand all down one level in the hierarchy option to display the [Site Description]. And the blank space is still here.

7.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi @v-xjiin-msft

Please refer to my original post with images where I have highlighted the matrix table where I have inserted dots as field name under the KPI Table. This enabled me to insert blanks in the matrix table, howerver is there an option to get away by not inputting dots yet insert blank?

Hope this is clear!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors