Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help to improve the performance of dashboard

Hello, 

I know there have been many posts regarding improving and optimizing the performance of the dashboard. I had a  chance to go through couple of them but it didn't seem to resolve my issue, hence creating a new post. 

Scenario: I am creating a live connetion to the Netezza database and using only one table for creating my dashboard. The table has approx 300K records and 80 columns. 

I have removed all the unwanted columns but at the same time I have created some new columns, 9 new columns which totals to 81 columns now. 

The current dashboard consist of 21 cards, 5 tables and one slicer. The dashboard takes 25-30 secs every time I change the value in the slicer. 

Is there a way wherein I can optimize the performance of the dashboard and reduce the process time? 

Thanks, 
Jash.

4 REPLIES 4
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Have you read this guide? - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance

There are some options you could try:

• Query reduction (in report settings) to stop slicers being applied until user selects apply (may not be useful if you only have one slicer).
  • Pre-aggregate the data at the DB end.
  • Try replaceing the multiple card visuals with a visual that supports small multiples in th market place.
  • Use the new drill through functionality to have a high level report with an imported or reduced data set and allow user to drill through to more focused/detailed live reports
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler and @itchyeyeballs , 

Thank you so much for your response. I made some major changes in my dashboard I replaced those 21 individual cards with 6 multi-row cards. So now the dashboard has 6 tables, 6 multi-row cards, 2 Individual cards and one slicer. Also I got rid-off the DAX functions, took care of those transformations at the database level itself so no additional transformations or calculations needs to be done in Power BI. 

Even after making those changes I do not see any major improvements in the dashboard performance. It still takes time (More than 20 secs) for all the visuals to refresh every time a user enters a new value in the slicer.  

@itchyeyeballs, the techniques that you shared to improve the performance unfortunately doesn't work for my case it seems, 
1. Yes, there is only one slicer
2. Aggregation of data is not possible as the dashboard is more like an operations report which shows granular level details
3. Yes, I tried it. Couldn't see any major impact on the performance
4.  I am not sure if I follow this correctly. Are you saying that I create a summary level report and have drill through functionality which would route the users to a detailed live report? Right now what I am doing is, I have a summary table at the top of the dashboard and multiple detail tables at the bottom. Every time a user clicks on any of the record in the summary table, the data in the details table get updated. 

Thanks, 
Jash. 

yes, potentially you could have a main dashboard that imports the data or uses a simplified dataset, then have multiple seperate reports with live/detailed data for the different elements, wont work if your users need all the visuals on one page though.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you have Premium, you could look at using Aggregations. Otherwise, have you looked at DAX Studio to help explore any performance issues? Are you able to post any DAX calculations you are doing?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.