Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siumui
Helper I
Helper I

Need help to connect Power BI to SharePoint List View

Hello all,

I created a View in SharePoint List where it gives me only last 30 days data.  The normal list contains whole year of data which I don't need for it will be a long list.  I only need last 30 days data to work with so I created a view that house last 30 days data.  Is it possible to connect to SharePoint List View?  I tried but the Power BI only display all the list names, it doesn't display any view name.  Is there a way to make this possible?

Thank you for all your help.  Have a wonderful day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @siumui

When you shape the data in Power Query (filter, remove columns, etc.) it reduces the file size.  Here's an example.

Size.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nerdy_Julie
Regular Visitor

The default view has all of the columns you want, just too many rows? You can shape the data in Power Query to  only show the last 30 days.  This can be done without code, instructions in screenshot below.

Hope this helps!

13.png

Hi @Nerdy_Julie ,

Yes, the default view has all the columns I need and of course, there are hundreds thousands of records.

I tried your method, it works.  But I have a question.  So when it connects to the source, it still pull how ever many records there are in SharePoint list, correct?  If there are 200,000 records, Power BI would still pull all 200,000 records first, then the step to filter for the last 30 days will come next, right?

My concern is performance.  To pull all records from SharePoint list it's just...a huge volume of data and it would be slow and time consuming - that's my thought.

Hi @siumui

When you shape the data in Power Query (filter, remove columns, etc.) it reduces the file size.  Here's an example.

Size.png

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If that view is the Default view, you can use the 2.0 version of the SharePoint connector and choose Default view.

mahoneypat_0-1619045950825.png

FYI too that if you need to pull the full list faster and then filter it down, you can see this video.

Get SharePoint List Data with Power BI ... Fast - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi @mahoneypat ,

That view is not a default view :(.

I will view your video link.  I'm crossing fingers if there is a way around it.  Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.