Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abrownRPI

Need help on how best to design my data model

Hi all,

My company has a SharePoint site for each project that we are working on. Each SharePoint site has 11 lists which we use as checklists to track progress through the different phases of the project. I currently have a pbix for each project. I pull in each of the 11 lists into the data model and then I append them into 1 table so it's easier to create visuals for. In BI Web I have all of these project reports rolling into 1 dashboard but the dashboard is becoming very full and difficult to maintain.

I would like to have all of this in one pbix with all of the individual project checklists all appended to 1 big master table. This way I would have 1 report instead of separate ones for each project.

For example, say I have 15 projects with 11 SharePoint lists for each, that will be 165 individual data sources. Is that doable? Is that unwise to try to pull in that many sources? I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you very much

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @abrownRPI ,

Do all the sharepoint lists follow the same schema? If so, Try to dump the data in a sql database onto a single table and try connecting Power BI to this database.

Or You can try appending all the lists somehow. Handling 165 different sources would be a Herculean task.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.