Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shwets47
Frequent Visitor

Need help in row level context in DAX

Hi Guys,

I have a below table :

FactorClassSubclassFee ReceivedModalityManagerScore
0.000411251000UniformSunnyvale19
0.000512260000UniformSunnyvale17
0.000513270000UniformSunnyvale10

I have calculated the score like this: SUMX ( Factor, [Fee received] * [Factor] ) , but what i actually want is sum of Fee Received multiplied by the factor of that ClassSubclass, Modality and Manager. i.e. 51000+60000+70000 = 181000 * 0.0004 = 72.4.

How do I achieve this?

Regards,

Shweta

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi mattbrice,

i pasted this: 

My Health Score =

VAR all_fees =
Calculate( Sum(Remittance[Amount paid]), All(Remittance))
VAR this_factor =
SELECTEDVALUE ( Factor[Factor] )
RETURN
this_factor * all_fees

and i got duplicates(couldnt attach a screenshot!), but it was definitely giving me wrong values , hence i did this:

My Health Score =

VAR all_fees =
Sum(Remittance[Amount paid])
VAR this_factor =
RETURN
this_factor * all_fees

and got below:

0.0014 1810000   

which is still not satisfying my need. i need 181000*0.0004 = 72.4 for subclass 112 and so on. thsi should be done dynamically on row level.

My current formula which is SUMX ( Factor, [Fee received] * Factor[Factor] ) is just multiplying the respective row to corresponding row, i.e 51000*0.0004 and 60000*0.0005 and so on. but i want a sum of the fee received for that particular modality and manager  and multiply it by the corresponding factor of the subclass.

Regards,

Shweta

View solution in original post

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help. Looks like my client was unclear as to what he wanted. As of now my formula is validated and looks correct , hence i am just closing this topic. Thanks again for all the help!

Regards,

Shweta

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

as a calculated column:

measure =
VAR all_fees =
     SUM ( Table[Fee Received] )
RETURN
    Table[Factor] * all_fees

as a measure, it depends on what other rows,columns, filters, slicers, etc are being applied, but something like this:

measure =
VAR all_fees =
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Fee Received] ), ALL ( Table ) )
VAR factor =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[Factor] )
RETURN
    factor * all_fees

Hi Mattbrice,

Thanks for the formula, i tried and not working, it says:

'factor' is a table name and cannot be used to define a variable.

Please help! i am new to DAX and finding it difficult to achieve this particular formula!

Regards,

Shweta

means you need to change the name of the variable i declared as it conflicts with a table name in your model.

measure =
VAR all_fees =
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Fee Received] ), ALL ( Table ) )
VAR this_factor =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[Factor] )
RETURN
    this_factor * all_fees

oh ok i renamed the variable, but now it just gives me 

still doesnt give me the exact number 😞 😞 😞 which is 72.4 for classSubclass 112 ,181000*0.0004 = 72.4

Regards,

Shweta

Hi @shwets47,

Your get Fee received from different tables, for example Fee received1= SUM(Table1[Amount paid]),Fee received2= SUM(Table2[Amount paid]), or Fee received3= SUM(Table3[Amount paid]).

Please try the formula and check if it works fine.

result=(SUM(Table1[Amount paid])+SUM(Table2[Amount paid])+SUM(Table3[Amount paid]))*Factor[factor]

Do you mind share your .pbix file for further analysis? It's hard to reproduce your scenario, so you'd better share more details.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thank you for your reply. But your formula wouldnt work for me for the same reason as Tom's, it says

"A single value for column 'Factor' in table 'Factor' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

but i need a single value from the column Factor multiplying with, sum of the amount paid. I know there is something that is very simple and I am missing it!

Sorry i wouldnt be able to share the pbix file as its a confidential client data and i cannot share it with anyone.

Regards,

Shweta

can you paste in here what the exact measure is your wrote?

At this point me (or someone else) would need to get a sample copy of your model to really help.  Too many potential issues to comment back and forth.

Hi mattbrice,

i pasted this: 

My Health Score =

VAR all_fees =
Calculate( Sum(Remittance[Amount paid]), All(Remittance))
VAR this_factor =
RETURN
this_factor * all_fees

and i got duplicates(couldnt attach a screenshot!), but it was definitely giving me wrong values , hence i did this:

My Health Score =

VAR all_fees =
Sum(Remittance[Amount paid])
VAR this_factor =
RETURN
this_factor * all_fees

and got below:

0.0014 1810000   

which is still not satisfying my need. i need 181000*0.0004 = 72.4 for subclass 112 and so on. thsi should be done dynamically on row level.

My current formula which is SUMX ( Factor, [Fee received] * Factor[Factor] ) is just multiplying the respective row to corresponding row, i.e 51000*0.0004 and 60000*0.0005 and so on. but i want a sum of the fee received for that particular modality and manager  and multiply it by the corresponding factor of the subclass.

Regards,

Shweta

Hi @shwets47,

It's hard to reproduce your scenario without sample table, I totally understand your data is confidential, you can create similar fake data. So that we can post solution which is close to your requirement.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi All,

Thank you all for your help. Looks like my client was unclear as to what he wanted. As of now my formula is validated and looks correct , hence i am just closing this topic. Thanks again for all the help!

Regards,

Shweta

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you can create a calculated column like so

Score CalcColumn =
SUM('Table2'[Fee Received])
*'Table2'[Factor] 

This returns the following values

2017-09-12_23-30-38.png

The above DAX statement is based on my current knowledge about your datamodel.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. But my Fee received is actually already a measure calculated from different table as sum of amount paid. Hence that is not possible . So i need to use SUMX but on a particular classSubclass level.

My Fee received formula is 

Fee received = SUM(Remittance[Amount paid]), but even if i apply that i cannot simply take single row value for Factor , it should be sum or aggregate. say if i do this according to your logic:

Sum(Remittance[Amount Paid]) * [Factor], it says below:

"A single value for column 'Factor' in table 'Factor' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

I am not sure how to achieve it!

Regards,

Shweta

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.