Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shashank
Helper III
Helper III

Need help in research before implementing power bi across organization

Hi Guys, i'm doing some exploration/reserarch before making a decision of rolling out power BI at organiztaion level any help would be appriciated.

Navigation between multiple reports in same workbook
Applying Common/
Global filters across reports which can be showwcase to user as UI item in published report

Ease and Security while Publishing dashboard to PowerBI cloud
 Ease and security while Embedding dashboard in microsites - Internal organization
Ease and security while Embedding Dashboard in microsites - External
User Management/ access rights
Data Security - Internal clients
Data Security - External clients
Browser limitations
Javascript compatibility
Performance comparison (Tableau vs Power BI)

Any help or reference material on those topics would be great..it will help us to make decision for our organization.

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Navigation between multiple reports in the same workbook is handled by tabs or pages.

Power BI supports global "report level" filters as well as page level filters and filters on individual visualizations

To publish a report, a user chooses "File | Publish | Publish to Power BI". This is done securely via TLS encryption

You can embed reports easily and securely. In SharePoint Online, for example, there is a modern web part for doing this.

User management and access rights are handled via Office 365 administration as well as certain access privileges are handled in the Power BI admin console. You can also leverage Row Level Security within individual data models to control who can see what information.

I am not aware of any specific browser limitations with Power BI Service other than really old versions of today's browsers.

I do not understand the javascript compatibility question or the context of it.

In terms of performance, that's kind of tricky to pin down. Performance in what aspect, data load, rendering, ? In general, both products have similar performance characteristics. Power BI tends to allow you to create more complex models than Tableau because it is based upon SQL Server Analysis Services tabular. Also, Power BI's query editor allows much greater data mashup than native Tableau (most serious Tableau users use Alteryx to augment this). Power BI's data ingest is FAST, as in faster than SSIS in my experience.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Navigation between multiple reports in the same workbook is handled by tabs or pages.

is this possible to provide some UI(Button or shape) on report using which user can be re-directed on another report ?

Power BI supports global "report level" filters as well as page level filters and filters on individual visualizations

is this possible to convert a Global "report level" filter in some UI filter(Slicer,drop down) which can be checked/unchecked by user

To publish a report, a user chooses "File | Publish | Publish to Power BI". This is done securely via TLS encryption You can embed reports easily and securely.

I'm assuming this data is publihsed on Azure , how secure it is and if organization want there dedicated  inhouse server ?

I do not understand the javascript compatibility question or the context of it.

I was asking can we make modification/add actions/functionality using java script , same can be done in Tableau.

In terms of performance, that's kind of tricky to pin down. Performance in what aspect, data load, rendering ? 

Scenario could be if there is dashboard is created on same data set on tableau and power bi in same enviroment which one will render fast with less wait time ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.