Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BOBBY21
Regular Visitor

Need help expanding column with table data from Share Point.

Hello PowerBI gurus,

We have a sharepoint list to track projects. Every project has a team(team members are pulled from AD) and I have difficulty to expand this column in PowerBI.  I tried several ways and it gives me out error. Could any one help me with this ?Error from advanced editorError from advanced editordrilldown errordrilldown errorNo columns were found when tried to expand from columnNo columns were found when tried to expand from column

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @BOBBY21,

If this is a case, you can consider to use 'Record.ReorderFields' function to choose fields which you wanted, then you can use table functions to transform filter fields to table format which power query can expanded.

Reference links:

Record.ReorderFields Returns a new record that reorders fields relative to each other. Any fields not specified remain in their original locations. Requires two or more fields.
Record.SelectFields Returns a new record that contains the fields selected from the input record. The original order of the fields is maintained.
Record.ToTable Returns a table of records containing field names and values from an input record.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Joorge_C
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello, Is this sharepoint list merged into an existing query?

I think your joins may have an issue (most likely the type, either they are not all text or something like that).

It's one single list and I haven't used any joins while extracting the data. 

Hi @BOBBY21,

Current power bi not support to expand records type, you need to manly do it though record function.(e.g. add custom column with record functions to extract specific fields values from record type column)

BTW, you can also take a look at following links:

Guy in a Cube - How to expand a list of records in a query

Record functions

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Sheng,

I tried those suggestions from "Guy in a cube" and had no luck. Probably I will explore record functions.  

Hi @BOBBY21,

If this is a case, you can consider to use 'Record.ReorderFields' function to choose fields which you wanted, then you can use table functions to transform filter fields to table format which power query can expanded.

Reference links:

Record.ReorderFields Returns a new record that reorders fields relative to each other. Any fields not specified remain in their original locations. Requires two or more fields.
Record.SelectFields Returns a new record that contains the fields selected from the input record. The original order of the fields is maintained.
Record.ToTable Returns a table of records containing field names and values from an input record.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.