Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Need help creating week number

I have a project that I am working on with a simplified calendar used as a DimDate. This calendar has: Date, Year, Month, Quarter, Month Name, Day of Week, Week Number, and YearMonth. What it does not have is ISO Week number. The week number that it has is calculated using =WEEKNUM,[date],2 and those numbers that do not match for sales amounts. Is there a simple way to create an ISO week number so that I can use this project for the next 10 days until my calendar frees up for me to rework the entire thing?

Is it =WEEKNUM, [Date], 21?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes. I started out with serial number 2 as that is what I was told the program used. It turns out that our Navision uses ISO. I had created week numbers using serial number 2 but was able to correct the informaiton chaning it wo week serial number 21.

Happy to know I was not the only one using 2.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
malguera
Frequent Visitor

Hi Team,

Need some help here.

The default WEEKNUM function provides week number from the start of the year and runs 1 to 53 or 54.

If I need to show week number within the quarter, running 1 to 13 or 14 within each qtr, how should I do so?

I.e.

WeekOfQtr.PNG 

Thanks!

Superdelucs
Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution for this problem? I am also encountering this issue. 

The problem is that I don't need the week of the year, but the iso-week for my reports. This currently doesn't seem te be an option in Power BI. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

My understanding of the ISO week number system is that it begins in Monday and ends on Sunday, days 1-7. Do you want just the ISO week number? That would be:

= WEEKNUM([Date],2)

If you want the full ISO date as specified here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date

That would be (compact form):

= YEAR([Date]) & "W" & WEEKNUM([Date],2) & WEEKDAY([Date],2)

See WEEKNUM reference here: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/WEEKNUM-Function-DAX-e636ef36-180a-4e2d-a29b-8f549c258da0

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

In DAX, you can create calculated those columns :
  • [Iso Week] = WEEKNUM([Date];21)  
  • [Iso Year] = IF( AND(WEEKNUM([Date];21) < 5;WEEKNUM([Date];2) > 50);[Year]+1;IF(AND(WEEKNUM([Date];21) > 50;WEEKNUM([Date];2) < 5);[Year]-1;[Year]))
  • [Iso Year Week] = IF( AND(WEEKNUM([Date];21) < 5;WEEKNUM([Date];2) > 50);[Year]+1;IF(AND(WEEKNUM([Date];21) > 50;WEEKNUM([Date];2) < 5);[Year]-1;[Year])) & " week " & FORMAT(WEEKNUM([Date];21);"00")
See http://fbro.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/powerpivot-excel2013-table-temps-universelle-pour-vos-pocs/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful, thanks!

Wild, learned something, I guess the documentation on WEEKNUM is incomplete, I couldn't find 21 as a valid argument anywhere for WEEKNUM but tried it and it works, and it does make a difference.

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/WEEKNUM-Function-DAX-e636ef36-180a-4e2d-a29b-8f549c258da0

But, found confirmation from Brueckl

http://blog.gbrueckl.at/2012/04/iso-8601-week-in-dax/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

yes. I started out with serial number 2 as that is what I was told the program used. It turns out that our Navision uses ISO. I had created week numbers using serial number 2 but was able to correct the informaiton chaning it wo week serial number 21.

Happy to know I was not the only one using 2.

I added WEEKNUM([createdAt],2) but kept on getting error - "Expression error: The name 'WEEKNUM' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly"

I am connecting to mysql database .. 

Try this:

Date.WeekOfYear(#date)

#date = The column that contains your date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors