Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

Need help converting datetime to text

I am using DateTime.ToText (in the M language) in a custom column to convert a datetime to text and concatenate it to the value in  another column, and I am having trouble getting it into a format that is useful for my report. The M language reference for the function says to check the Library Specification, but the latest version of this document I can find (Feb. 2015) only gives a few format elements - none of which can apparently handle a 24-hour format for the hour portion. Testing it out, the "hh" portion is always 01-12, with 12:00 being either midnight or noon and 01 being either 1:00 AM or 1:00 PM.

The problem is that I need to compare this to a text column generated by SQL Server, which has only a few, fixed formatting options as well. The most appropriate ones for my report use a 24-hour clock. So I am trying to create soemthing like "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mi:ss" (the "ODBC canonical" format in SQL Server), where "hh" would be 13 for 1:00pm. Even the format "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mi:ss.mmm", which appears to match the ISO8601 format in SQL Server, only uses a 12-hour clock.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to parse it into its components and re-assemble it from individual pieces of text?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

I found the solution, so I'm posting it here in hopes it may help someone else.

Using "yyyy-mm-dd HH:mm:ss" did the trick - capitalizing the HH create a 24-hour clock, from 00-23. So my formula reads DateTime.ToText([KeyDateTime],"yyyy-mm-dd HH:mm:ss") & " " & [UnitId] and this compares correctly to the SQL Server output. I can even create a relationship using this column.

It's odd that this is not documented anywhere I could find it, in this forum or the MSDN doc or even with a Google search. And I've run into this with other functions as well, where the documentation refers to elements but there is no specification for those elements. I respect the fact that Power BI Desktop is growing quickly, and I love that, but surely such simple parts of the language such as format strings must be documented somewhere?

View solution in original post

Actually, the formula should read "DateTime.ToText([KeyDateTime],"yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss") & " " & [UnitId]" - who would have guessed that "MM" means month and "mm" means minute? It really should be documented somewhere!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SamTrexler
Helper IV
Helper IV

I found the solution, so I'm posting it here in hopes it may help someone else.

Using "yyyy-mm-dd HH:mm:ss" did the trick - capitalizing the HH create a 24-hour clock, from 00-23. So my formula reads DateTime.ToText([KeyDateTime],"yyyy-mm-dd HH:mm:ss") & " " & [UnitId] and this compares correctly to the SQL Server output. I can even create a relationship using this column.

It's odd that this is not documented anywhere I could find it, in this forum or the MSDN doc or even with a Google search. And I've run into this with other functions as well, where the documentation refers to elements but there is no specification for those elements. I respect the fact that Power BI Desktop is growing quickly, and I love that, but surely such simple parts of the language such as format strings must be documented somewhere?

Actually, the formula should read "DateTime.ToText([KeyDateTime],"yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss") & " " & [UnitId]" - who would have guessed that "MM" means month and "mm" means minute? It really should be documented somewhere!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.