Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help calculating weighted average

Hi,

I have a reference table which holds state wise average length of stays (ALOS) in hospital for different procedures.  I also have a fact table which holds admission episodes and LOS for each patient . I would like to calculate the weighted average LOS using the state ALOS. 

ilky_1-1596897357960.png

Example of data is shown in the picture.  The formula for Weighted State  ALOS is :

=(H8/H10)*$H$3+(H9/H10)*$H$4 for Jan 

=(I8/I10)*$H$3+(I9/I10)*$H$4 for Feb and so on ..

I am unable to create the DAX measure which calculates the Weighted State ALOS.

Can you please help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arklur
Resolver II
Resolver II

I manually put your sample data in a model, here is the PQ code for that:

// StateAverage
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8s5LTVXSUTJVitWJVvLILACyDQ2UYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Procedure = _t, StateAverageLos = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Procedure", type text}, {"StateAverageLos", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

// Data
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMU9JR8s5LTQVSZkqxOtFKbqlJCCFjsJBvYhFCyAIs5FiAJGQJVVWJEDICC3mVIhlvCBEC2+iRWQA3HWIhRMQMyT6IiDmSdRARUyTbICJGxki2QYRMlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Procedure = _t, Procedures = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type text}, {"Procedure", type text}, {"Procedures", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

After that, create the necessary relationship between the 2 tables:

image.png

Then add this measure to the model:

WeightedStateAverageLos = 
VAR vWeightedSum = 
    SUMX ( 
        Data,
        Data[Procedures] * RELATED ( StateAverage[StateAverageLos] )
    )
VAR vCountProcedures = 
    SUM ( Data[Procedures] )
VAR vRetval = 
    DIVIDE ( vWeightedSum, vCountProcedures )
RETURN
    vRetval

This should give you the expected result:

image.png

Obviously, to see the months in the correct order, there are more transformation needed, but that's not the scope of your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , this not the way data should be there.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format?

Refer

https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/marco/2017/10/02/why-data-modeling-is-important-in-powerbi/

https://radacad.com/power-bi-basics-of-modeling-star-schema-and-how-to-build-it

Arklur
Resolver II
Resolver II

I manually put your sample data in a model, here is the PQ code for that:

// StateAverage
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8s5LTVXSUTJVitWJVvLILACyDQ2UYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Procedure = _t, StateAverageLos = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Procedure", type text}, {"StateAverageLos", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

// Data
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMU9JR8s5LTQVSZkqxOtFKbqlJCCFjsJBvYhFCyAIs5FiAJGQJVVWJEDICC3mVIhlvCBEC2+iRWQA3HWIhRMQMyT6IiDmSdRARUyTbICJGxki2QYRMlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Procedure = _t, Procedures = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type text}, {"Procedure", type text}, {"Procedures", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

After that, create the necessary relationship between the 2 tables:

image.png

Then add this measure to the model:

WeightedStateAverageLos = 
VAR vWeightedSum = 
    SUMX ( 
        Data,
        Data[Procedures] * RELATED ( StateAverage[StateAverageLos] )
    )
VAR vCountProcedures = 
    SUM ( Data[Procedures] )
VAR vRetval = 
    DIVIDE ( vWeightedSum, vCountProcedures )
RETURN
    vRetval

This should give you the expected result:

image.png

Obviously, to see the months in the correct order, there are more transformation needed, but that's not the scope of your question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Arklur 

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed. I am still new in Power BI , your explanation was clear and simple to understand.

Thanks again.

Regards

Ilky

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.